Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
- IT spending by India Inc. to be Rs 2.67 lakh crore by 2016: Gartner
Get a glimpse of how the Indian enterprise IT market will grow over the next five years and the sectors that will drive the growth. A Gartner report.
- Microsoft volume licensing costs to increase up to 33.5%
Microsoft will increase its volume licensing prices in the UK between 7.5% and 33.5% starting July 1 to maintain price consistency owing to the sustained currency difference in Europe.
- VMware's Wanova acquisition extends VDI to physical desktops
VMware's acquisition of Wanova gives View shops software to centrally manage virtual and physical desktops and a way to support departmental and user installed apps with VDI.
- IT bottlenecks drive data visualization tool purchases
Allstate, Autodesk, MGM Resorts and Great Western Bank share the secrets to data visualization tools’ success.
- Partners mixed on Marketing Depot program, HP support
HP channel partners are pleased with improvements to the Marketing Depot program, but say they need more sales support from the vendor.
- Web content optimization: A new approach to SharePoint optimization
Riverbed Stingray Aptimizer helps Duke Corporate Education with SharePoint optimization.
- Android Malware Genome Project aims to nurture mobile security research
Project will share data on malware targeting the Android platform. It has collected 1,200 Android malware samples.
- Why CFOs love cloud metrics -- and when CIOs need to push back
With CFOs increasingly enticed by cloud metrics, CIOs must understand CFOs' love of cloud computing solutions -- and also know when to push back.
- Brocade: Some OpenFlow switches can't operate at line-rate speeds
While unveiling its WAN-focused software-defined networking strategy, Brocade revealed that competitors are selling OpenFlow switches that can't operate at line-rate speeds.
- Puppet Labs offers bare-metal provisioning to enterprises via EMC
Puppet Labs surprises some IT pros with a new EMC partnership that open-sources automated bare-metal provisioning for servers.
- EMC Data Domain backup – addition by subtraction?
EMC rolls out bigger, faster Data Domain system, discontinues separate global dedupe and archiving products, and adds tape support for Avamar.
- SAP cloud to get boost with acquisition of Ariba
SAP is buying Ariba and its on-demand B2B commerce network for $4.3 billion, part of its effort to dominate the enterprise cloud market.
- Syncplicity customers hope for enterprise cloud file sharing features from EMC
Syncplicity customers say they welcome EMC’s acquisition of the online file sharing vendor, although they’re watching EMC’s pricing plans.
- Microsoft to battle Amazon with Azure improvements and services
Microsoft will reintroduce Windows Azure next month with a new Web hosting framework and a detailed roadmap for its long-awaited IaaS, sources say.
- Oracle to financial firms: Speed is the key to avoiding systemic risk
Financial services firms need to speed up their data management and analytics practices to avoid another economic crisis like the one that gripped the world in 2008.
- Mohegan Sun bets big on Infor CRM across sales, service and marketing
Mohegan Sun's new CRM software platform aims to connect with customers, reduce agent churn and overhaul the sales force.
- Windows words of the week: Speedy and cheesy
This week's candid quotes say a lot about the past, present and future of Windows, and what each will cost you.