Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, May 31, 2012
- OpenFlow and software-defined networking for the campus LAN?
Most talk of OpenFlow and software-defined networking focuses on the data center, but the technology may improve security and mobility management in the campus LAN too.
- Seize big data and analytics or fall behind, MIT panel says
Get cracking on big data and analytics or go home, says a panel of data experts at the recent MIT Sloan CIO Symposium.
- Exchange 2010 SP2 rollup 3 includes long-awaited fix
Exchange 2010 SP2 RU 3 contains 42 helpful fixes, including one that some Exchange Server administrators might deem a feature enhancement.
- Network management is all about application performance
Now that networks are measured by application performance, IT teams must seek out application-aware network management and monitoring tools.
- Tinba banking Trojan sniffs network traffic, steals data
Tinba is among the smallest data-stealing banking Trojans discovered in the wild, according to Danish security firm CSIS Security Group.
- UK cloud provider connects island data centers with Nicira NVP
U.K.-based cloud provider Calligo enlists Nicira NVP to virtualize its two island data centers into a single virtual data center for customers.
- Dealing with the classic Catalyst 6500 end-of-life
The classic Catalyst 6500 has been the workhorse of networks everywhere for more than a decade. Now the platform is nearing its end of life. How should you proceed?
- Virtualization pros weigh manual capacity management against automation
To automate or not to automate? That is the question among forward-thinking IT pros and some virtualization capacity management vendors.
- Epicor, Sage, SAP public cloud ERP moves raise pricing, technical concerns
Analysts say Epicor, Sage and SAP's recent cloud ERP initiatives portend cloud computing benefits for on-premises ERP platforms but require close scrutiny before making a change.
- Survey: Mobile device protection a top priority for IT professionals
Mobile device protection is a major concern for IT departments, a SearchCompliance.com survey found. Here's expert advice on mobile strategy trends and how the cloud can help.
- VMware attempts to move beyond virtualization with vFabric update
VMware adds automatic deployment tools, RDBMS and in-memory database features to its vFabric cloud offering.
- Microsoft updates its government pitch with new Office 365 version
Federal IT just got another reason to consider cloud services as Microsoft delivered Office 365 for Government. But is it compelling enough to migrate?
- Mobile BI software picking up the pace with corporate users
Mobile business intelligence (BI) technology is becoming more mainstream, thanks to the rise of smartphones and tablet PCs and demand from business users for on-the-go access to BI data.
- Data management strategies on full display at Enterprise Data World
May brings a busy season for data management conferences to a close. The last stop: Enterprise Data World, which offered advice and some laughs -- the latter at the expense of "big data."
- Network Innovation Award: Enterasys remote network management
Enterasys Networks wins our Network Innovation Award for its remote network management suite that lets engineers manage networks using Facebook, Twitter and Salesforce.com.