Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Friday, June 22, 2012
- What's your smartphone app's unique value proposition?
CIOs who offer a unique value proposition with their smartphone app strategies can get a huge payback.
- Cloud outage report of 13 providers reveals downtime costs
A new report on cloud resiliency calculates average system availability at "three nines," which could cost cloud providers in more ways than one.
- As tag clouds die off, businesses seek new ways to visualize text
Tag clouds are dead, according to the presenters at the eighth annual Text Analytics Summit who made a case for advanced text visualization techniques.
- 5 connectivity tar pits you can avoid with a strong VPN
From split tunneling to smart weather strategies, experts outline how to avoid common causes of slow VPNs.
- Security updates for Cisco VPN client AnyConnect, security appliances
Cisco Systems has patched vulnerabilities in its VPN endpoint client Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client and other hardware security appliances.
- A mobile strategy that puts customers first and employees in limbo
The consumerization of IT will change everything for certain employees, as a mobile strategy that puts customers first attests.
- Storage infrastructure management doesn’t have to be an ‘infrastruggle’
In his Storage Decisions keynote, Jon Toigo pushed for better storage infrastructure management through the use of smarter pooling strategies to reclaim disk capacity.
- New Gartner Magic Quadrant topic: Unified wired and wireless LAN
Gartner is dumping its wireless LAN and LAN switching categories and replacing them with one on unified wired and wireless LAN access and another on the data center network.
- Web apps easier for IT to secure, but BYOD users go native
BYOD shops deal with constant push and pull and the tension increases when it comes to Web apps vs. native apps. Users like native apps, but IT can’t seem to secure them.
- VMware vs. Microsoft: Ferocious pricing war from the user perspective
This week, users chimed in on the VMware vs. Microsoft pricing and licensing war and critics questioned VMware’s Hadoop-on-vSphere strategy.
- Embrace 'big data' now or fall behind the competition, analyst warns
Wikibon.org analyst Jeff Kelly has a dire message for organizations that think they can ignore big data.
- Consumerization Quotes: Drug dealers, Angry Birds and Surface tablets
Mobile games probably won’t bring down your network, but tech-savvy employees might. The IT community explains how in this week’s Boston-baked quotes.