Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
- Citrix revises XenApp EOL, IT advised to upgrade quickly
Citrix has revised XenApp’s EOL status and extended support, but users must upgrade soon to avoid exorbitant extended support costs.
- Network Innovation Award: NEC ProgrammableFlow; OpenFlow networking
NEC ProgrammableFlow wins the SearchNetworking Network Innovation Award for software-defined networking.
- Active Directory deficient for consumerization-era identity management
As cloud and mobile take root in enterprises, identity management takes center stage and some say Active Directory isn’t enough.
- HTML5 Web apps add device integration but trail native apps
New APIs let HTML5 Web apps integrate with mobile devices' cameras, microphones and storage, but native apps still have a leg up.
- Is mobile device virtualisation the answer to BYOD?
Mobile device virtualisation promises work and personal personas on the same device -- but is it ready for prime time?
- Mainframe strategy: Invest in and repurpose mainframe computers
An enterprise operations expert explains why his company is sticking to its mainframe strategy and how mainframes are shifting with business needs.
- Black Hat 2012: Malware analysis system could aid research, boost defenses
The analysis environment aims to provide free access to millions of malware samples, according to Rodrigo Branco, who is unveiling the system at Black Hat 2012.
- On-demand cloud services help new providers get into the market fast
Cloud providers want to get their services to market fast. Dimension Data has announced a global cloud partner program that will help them to do this.
- The future of virtualization: Areas for growth and concern
On the surface, the future of virtualization is bright. But, as more workloads are virtualized, new and complex infrastructure problems arise.
- All-SSD vendor Pure Storage unveils reseller partner program
Startup Pure Storage is launching a partner program for its FlashArray system, with one tier, deal registration and online access to resources.
- Symantec dumps CEO; vows to fix Backup Exec 2012
New Symantec CEO Stephen Bennett said fixing Backup Exec 2012 problems is one of his priorities as he replaces Enrique Salem.
- Symantec CEO ouster doesn't surprise industry analysts
Analysts say new Symantec CEO Steve Bennett must foster innovation, better leverage its assets and meet Wall Street expectations.
- Black Hat 2012: Luminaries worried about social engineering techniques
Despite new technologies and better software security, experts say cybercriminals are instead focusing on targeted social engineering attacks.
- Crisis Trojan, new Mac OSX Trojan, considered a low risk for now
Mac security vendor Intego identified the Crisis Trojan, a new Mac OSX Trojan, as a likely future weapon for targeted attacks against Apple endpoints.
- VMware’s Nicira acquisition adds fuel to its cloud management fire
VMware acquires Nicira and is expected to integrate it with its other cloud products, giving customers a flexible cloud management platform.
- Black Hat 2012: Limited release for tool allowing smart meter hacks
Don Weber of InGuardians is releasing his smart meter hacking tool, but only to utilities, vendors and vendor-vetted researchers.
- Black Hat 2012: Dan Kaminsky tackles secure software development
Security researcher Dan Kaminsky’s annual "black ops" talk at Black Hat 2012 focused improving secure software development with better code.