Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, April 4, 2013
- Overheard on Twitter: SDN automation and timing; Cisco and IBM adapt
This week, SearchSDN scoured Twitter for SDN commentary and found users discussing SDN automation, the timing of SDN, and whether vendors can adapt.
- An SDN exchange is born: What does this mean for network interconnect?
The Southeast Network Access Point is an SDN exchange that lets users pull Layer 2 across network domains. Will network interconnect forever be changed?
- Networking blogs: Tips for network strategies, handling tech support
Bloggers in this week's roundup advise ditching tech-specific plans for more general corporate strategies, and approaching tech support with caution.
- Desktop as a Service lowdown: Costs, pros and cons
Companies that want VDI but lack the expertise or the Capex look to Desktop as a Service, but cloud-hosted desktop costs vary.
- Epic CEO opens up about CommonWell data interoperability project
Epic CEO Judy Faulkner says she worries the CommonWell data interoperability project will just be used as a competitive weapon.
- Android fragmentation complicates enterprise BYOD support
IT pros that want a consistent version of Android to support as part of a BYOD policy, take note: Android fragmentation is here to stay.
- Arista OpenFlow support and OpenStack integration arrive
Arista adds OpenFlow 1.0 support and enables unified physical and virtual network orchestration via OpenStack.
- Object-based storage draws praise, objections
SNW verdict on object storage: it doesn't have to be difficult to implement, but when is it necessary?
- PHD Virtual buys DR testing startup VirtualSharp, eyes cloud DR
Backup vendor PHD Virtual takes another step toward the cloud, adds DR testing startup VirtualSharp and the ability to recover data in a public cloud.
- Juniper enhances integrated wireless LAN control and management
As more devices and apps bombard the enterprise, IT needs integrated wireless LAN control to improve management flexibility and investment protection.
- Social media recruitment must be engaging, attractive to candidates
Social media recruitment is rapidly growing, and to stay competitive, recruiters have to be social, engaging and attractive to potential candidates.
- Richer data management technology palette adds more color to IT mix
All the big data buzz belies a potent trend that sees lower-cost hardware and massive Web applications driving more diversity in database engines.
- OpenStack Grizzly release pushes scalability, high availability
OpenStack Grizzly contains a laundry list of operational improvements, but will it be enough to boost enterprise deployments?
- Global economy forces companies to re-examine regulatory compliance
The global economy creates unique risks and regulatory compliance rules for multinational corporations, forcing them to re-examine GRC processes.
- Two 'critical' bulletins planned for April 2013 Patch Tuesday
Microsoft plans to issue nine bulletins for its April 2013 Patch Tuesday release, including two "critical" fixes for Internet Explorer and Windows iterations.
- Mobile first? Not so fast
Strategies that say mobile comes first give mobile apps priority over desktop apps. Some experts say mobile and desktop apps should coordinate.