Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, July 3, 2013
- Desktop management software begins to go mobile
Mobile device and desktop management software have traditionally been separate, but some vendors have started to combine them.
- Microsoft attempts to make Surface RT tablet enterprise-worthy
Microsoft's Surface RT is a consumer device, while Surface Pro is designed for enterprises, but there may be a place for the RT in the corporate world.
- New Silver Peak CEO sees WAN replication as 'exciting area'
Silver Peak founder and new CEO David Hughes said improving WAN replication for storage is a key focus for the WAN optimization vendor.
- F5 training effort with University of Phoenix to boost ADC skills
F5 Networks and the University of Phoenix team up for vendor-neutral application delivery controller training.
- Colocation services: Cloud providers are leasing, not buying
With colocation services, cloud providers can take advantage of third-party infrastructure and expertise while cutting down on upfront costs.
- Oracle x86 servers take further hit with Dell deal
The Oracle-Dell deal under which Dell will resell Oracle software makes the death knell for Oracle x86 servers louder.
- Early adopters see Red Hat Storage Server as SAN alternative
Red Hat Storage Server's early adopters see promising results in small projects requiring ease of scalability, high availability and replication.
- Gas firm uses Riverbed Granite to consolidate remote site storage
Gas exploration firm uses Riverbed Steelhead, and Riverbed Granite hardware and virtual appliances to consolidate storage in remote sites.
- PowerCloud Systems: Multi-tenant cloud Wi-Fi, one infrastructure
PowerCloud Systems has released TenantWiFi, its multi-tenant cloud Wi-Fi offering for shared spaces.
- OEM 12c R3 release good for Oracle customers; others not as much
Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) 12c R3 continues to be a tool focused on Oracle products. That's good for Oracle customers, but limits OEM's reach.
- Briefs: Deutsche Börse to run cloud marketplace, MIT on cloud security
This week, German stock exchange operator Deutsche Börse builds a cloud marketplace, and MIT researchers aim to solve an encryption loophole.
- New Cisco distribution chief; Synnex CloudSolv gains Office 365 migration tool
Cisco names a new vice president of worldwide distribution, Julie Hens; plus, Synnex CloudSolv adds the Skykick suite for Office 365 migrations.