Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Friday, September 20, 2013
- Is Apple's Touch ID tapping at the window of a biometric future?
If users readily embrace Apple's new Touch ID fingerprint reader, experts say it could press enterprise biometric adoption forward.
- Tape revenue falls, yet LTO-6 has higher adoption rate than LTO-5
Overall backup tape revenues continue to decline, but major tape manufacturers say the adoption rate for LTO-6 is higher than LTO-5.
- Seagate announces rackmount NAS aimed at backup and file sharing
Seagate Technology recently announced two rackmount NAS devices aimed at business collaboration and data protection.
- Addonics releases Sapphire Snap-In Disk Array with RAID capability
Addonics Technologies unveiled Sapphire Snap-In Disk Array external storage devices that can be expanded with RAID capability.
- Magic Quadrant: Network services wanted for wired and wireless networks
Enterprises want sophisticated network services for their wired and wireless networks, according to the Gartner's Magic Quadrant report.
- Microsoft Office alternatives give mobile users flexible productivity software
Office productivity software alternatives from IBM, Huddle and others now integrate more mobile, social and collaboration features for the enterprise.
- HHS disperses grant funds in advance of health insurance reform
HHS distributed $67 million to organizations that have volunteered to educate patients on healthcare coverage options.
- Tech Data partners with collab9 for Cisco HCS; HP adds enterprise channel role
Tech Data is making Cisco HCS available to customers through a deal with collab9; HP adds Sue Barsamian in Enterprise Group channel role; more news.
- SDN blog roundup: Using OpenFlow for network load balancing
SDN bloggers discuss OpenDaylight's new SDN architecture Hydrogen; if OpenContrail will compete with OpenDaylight; and network load balancing.
- 'Stop backing up' and learn instant recovery instead
Backup expert W. Curtis Preston's advice from Storage Decisions: Focus on instant recovery, RPO and RTO and forget traditional restores.
- HP introduces 'self-healing' BIOS protection with SureStart
HP's new SureStart feature detects and 'heals' corrupted BIOS code.
- VCE updates converged infrastructure amid increased competition
The VCE company will deliver new specialized Vblock systems next quarter, including one for extreme applications that caught partners' attention.
- Ballmer confesses Microsoft mobile device missteps in final financial call
Departing CEO Steve Ballmer admits that Microsoft missed a huge opportunity to be competitive in the now lavishly successful mobile device market.