Kit Wai Chan - Fotolia
Talend offers automated migration to cloud data warehouse
The new capability is supported by BladeBridge's converter technology and includes self-service tools for data preparation and data integration, among other features.
Talend, a data integration and data integrity applications vendor, on Tuesday announced the addition of automated migration from on-premises and legacy data warehouses and extract, transform, load environments to Snowflake and Talend Cloud's data integration platform.
Snowflake is a vendor of data warehouses for the cloud, and Talend Cloud's data integration platform offers tools to migrate and manage data. The new offering is aimed to help speed up the process of migrating to a cloud data warehouse, according to the company. It will also let companies share important data across departments, partners and locations while maintaining a single source of data for analytics.
The cloud offers many benefits compared with on-premises alternatives, including more agility, faster development and lower cost. The shift to the cloud for big data is happening quickly, and global spending on big data solutions via cloud subscriptions will increase almost 7.5 times faster than on-premises subscriptions, according to Brian Hopkins, a principal analyst at Forrester.
Talend said BladeBridge's converter technology enables a faster and automated migration process to Snowflake by automating data migration along with extract, transform, load scripts, databases, tables, views, stored procedures and functions from on-premises databases and ETL products.
The new offering by Talend include the following features:
- Integration of structured and unstructured data, along with batch and real-time streaming, addressing data management requirements.
- Automated migration from legacy and on-premises data integration environments.
- Ability to divide data into virtual data marts.
- Self-service tools for data preparation and data integration.
- Automation capabilities, including automating conversion database schema such as tables, views, stored procedures and user-defined functions, as well as automating conversion of ETL to modern cloud environments.
- ETL capabilities to scale on-demand ETL and data warehousing; migrate both ETL and data warehouse to the cloud; and reduce administration of ETL and data warehouse.
Talend's competitors include Informatica, IBM and Oracle. Informatica PowerCenter, an enterprise data integration platform, offers support for complete data integration initiatives, including data analytics and warehousing, application migration and data governance. IBM InfoSphere DataStage integrates data across enterprise systems and is available on-premises or in the cloud. Oracle GoldenGate offers real-time data integration and replication in heterogeneous IT environments, according to the company.
Talend to be acquired by Thoma Bravo for $2.4 billion
Oracle brings GoldenGate data integration service to cloud