MEP, European Parliament
Marietje Schaake has been serving as a Member of the European Parliament for the Dutch Democratic Party (D66) with the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) political group since 2009.
She serves on the International Trade committee, where she is the ALDE spokesperson on transatlantic trade and digital trade, and serves on the committee on Foreign Affairs and has a special interest in human rights.
She is the vice-president of the US delegation and serves on the Iran delegation and the delegation for the Arab peninsula. In 2017 she was the chief of the European Union election observation mission in Kenya.
- Founder of the European Parliament intergroup on the digital agenda for Europe, a member of the Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace.
- ALDE coordinator of the International Trade Committee (INTA) and spokesperson for the ALDE group on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).
- Serves on the Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFET), where she focuses on strengthening Europe as a global player. She works on the EU’s neighbourhood policy, notably Turkey, Iran and North Africa and the broader Middle East.
- Speaks on human rights and coordinates the monthly human rights resolutions for ALDE. Her work has sought to include digital freedoms in EU foreign policy.
- President of the delegation for relations with the United States, a substitute member on the delegation for Iran, and a substitute member on the delegation for the Arab peninsula.
Marietje has pushed for completing Europe’s digital single market and copyright reform. She is strongly committed to an open internet in discussions about internet governance and digital human rights.
She is a member of the European Council on Foreign Relations, a Commissioner on the Global Commission on Internet Governance and a WEF Young Global Leader in the class of 2014. She serves as vice-president of the supervisory board of Free Press Unlimited.