To assess the current and future landscape for data platforms, including supportive technologies and processes, Enterprise Strategy Group surveyed 354 IT professionals in North America (US and Canada) involved with decisions for data and analytics, modern tooling, data technologies, and data-centric processes in their organization.
This study sought to answer the following questions:
- How many tools or services do organizations leverage across all stages of their data platforms, from initial data collection to data visualization?
- What are the key drivers behind modern data platform strategies?
- Which areas of data platforms are most important? Which are most challenging?
- How effective is the interoperability between different vendors contributing to data platform components?
- What is the average delivery time for getting decision-making data to stakeholders? How will this change over the next 24 months?
- How effectively are organizations delivering the right data to the right users at the right time?
- What role do cloud services play in supporting modern data platform strategies? What are the drivers behind the use of cloud services for these platforms?
- Who are the data stakeholders in organizations? To what extent is the number of data stakeholders growing?
- From how many sources do organizations collect data to support their modern data platform initiatives? What types of data sources are used?
- What are the most important expected outcomes from implementing data integration tools or services?
- What types of data repositories are organizations currently using to store data for analysis and processing? What types of data repositories will they be using in 24 months?
- What is the current and future adoption status for data organization tools and services such as data preparation, quality assurance, orchestration, classification, and cataloging?
- What is the current and future data analysis and visualization tool adoption status?
- How does data analysis impact organizations’ decision-making abilities or competitive advantage?
- How will spending on data platform technologies change over the 12 months? Which technologies will represent the most significant investments?