For IT teams, supporting containers for software development and DevOps has become table stakes. Providing the right infrastructure platform is essential.
You never want to tell developers or line-of-business managers you can’t deliver the solutions they need or refer them to a public-cloud-only solution. The risks are too profound and real: Potential cost overruns, security gaps, new information silos and out-of-control shadow IT initiatives that fail to meet corporate governance, compliance and data protection requirements.
Instead, you want to deliver what they need, when they need it and make it as simple as possible for them to access it, with self-service capabilities, scalable infrastructure, easy management and intrinsic security. With solutions from Dell Technologies and VMware, IT has more flexibility than ever to deliver a single architecture that supports VMs side by side with containers and Kubernetes orchestration.
From IT’s perspective, there are huge benefits in deploying a single platform that manages both VM and container workloads, particularly through the partnership of Dell and VMware. With this ”VMware your way” model, IT can:
- Use the same tools for both VM and containerized workloads, taking advantage of Kubernetes orchestration. You can monitor and optimize utilization and performance with processes that are proven and familiar, taking advantage of existing skill sets.
- Leverage unified, best-of-breed server, storage, network and security solutions that are perfectly suited for hosting both traditional VM workloads and modern cloud-native applications.
- Use flexible infrastructure deployment models that can be designed to fit each application and workload requirement, including hyper-converged, converged and 3-tier infrastructure.
- Modernize applications at your own pace using the methodology that is best suited to each application and business case – whether rehosting, replatforming or refactoring.
- Empower developers with a cloud operating model everywhere, giving them self-service capabilities and elastic scalability to specify, deploy and utilize the infrastructure they need whether in the data center, in the cloud or at the edge.
- Reduce risk by managing VMs and containers centrally, thus unifying IT control over critical areas such as security, compliance, governance, performance, availability and business continuity.
Taking the Next Step
If you’re in IT, you don’t have any choice but to support containers with Kubernetes orchestration, the industry standard. Most new applications are being built using container architectures, and many legacy apps will require modernization with cloud-native capabilities.
Are you ready to take the next step? Please visit Dell Technologies to learn more about how your organization can take advantage of a single architecture and infrastructure platform for VMs and containers.