Wireless LAN quiz
Take our wireless LAN quiz to find out how much you know about WLAN technologies.
Take our wireless LAN quiz to find out how much you know about WLAN technologies. Need to refresh your memory first? See our WLAN glossary.
1. Spock had one of these from the Star Trek mirror universe -- in a WLAN context, it describes a counterfeit access point. What is it?
2. This term describes electromagnetic energy having a frequency higher than 1 gigahertz, corresponding to wavelength shorter than 30 centimeters. (Hint: it has a common use in many homes other than communications.) What is it?
3. HiperLAN is a set of WLAN communication standards that provide features and capabilities similar to those of the IEEE 802.11 standards. Where is it primarily used?
4. SWAN is a technology that incorporates a wireless LAN into a wired wide-area network (WAN). What does "SWAN" stand for?
a. Structured Wireless-Aware Network
b. Switching for Wired Area Network
c. Structured Wireless Area Network
d. Switched Wireless Area Network
5. MIMO is an antenna technology for wireless communications that features a single antenna at the source end and a single antenna at the destination end. True or false?
6. From what two terms is the word transponder derived?
7. Abbreviated as AP, this is the more formal name for a hot spot. What is it?
8. Fixed wireless devices are usually in fixed positions and derive their electrical power from the utility mains, rather than batteries. True or false?
9. A WASP is a wireless application service provider. What's a WISP?
10. This popular, unidirectional antenna is commonly used for communications at frequencies above 10 MHz. What is it?