OpenVPN is an open source VPN that includes a simplified security framework and a modular network design that has portability across platforms. Major OpenVPN features include:
- Site-to-site VPNs, remote access and Wi-Fi security.
- OpenSSL and mbedTLS (formerly known as PolarSSL).
- SSL/TLS for session authentication and IPsec ESP for tunnel transport over User Datagram Protocol (UDP).
- Compatible with SSL/TLS, RSA certificates, X.509 PKI, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Network Address Translation (NAT), and TUN/TAP virtual devices.
These platforms are supported:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.
- Mac OS X.
- OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris.
- Android, iOS (iPhone, iPad).
See the next slide to learn about controlling VPN costs.