Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, June 16, 2011
- The IT roles needed for the IT organization of the future
IT's status quo will be toppled by the need for speed and tech-savvy employees. Here's what's vital for operating the IT organization of the future.
- Gartner cites global resiliency, partnerships of top 25 supply chains
Apple and Dell hold the top two spots in the research firm?s annual list.
- A network access control solution that works across wired and wireless
The Kerry County Council finds a network access control solution that works across wired and wireless networks and 60 geographically dispersed branch offices.
- New Adobe sandbox hardens Acrobat family, adds Protected View
Protected View builds on Adobe Reader X Protected Mode, isolating processes to make it more difficult for malicious code to access the underlying operating system.
- HP sues Oracle over development on Itanium
HP's lawsuit against Oracle claims that Oracle's decision to stop development on Itanium platforms violated an implied contract between the two.
- Building a midmarket business intelligence business case: key steps
Getting broad business buy-in is vital to building a business case for a midmarket BI project, according to analysts and BI pros. And that requires getting business users engaged, they say.
- HP vs. Oracle: Itanium development lawsuit
HP has sued Oracle over Oracle's decision to stop software development on Intel Itanium platforms. Here is the legal complaint.
- Enterasys offers remote network management via Facebook and Twitter
Enterasys Networks introduces remote network management via enterprise social media. Is network management via Twitter and Facebook revolutionary or a marketing gimmick?
- How business intelligence software can influence enrollment
Consultants at Maguire Associates help institutions of higher education embrace business intelligence software for everything from market research to student retention.
- Securing the borderless network: It's time to embrace mobile devices
The importance of securing the borderless network when mobile devices are taking over both business and personal use is key for partners to recognize when talking with customers.
- NFC mobile wallet services require downstream deals to be lucrative
NFC mobile wallet services look cool, but "cool" doesn't make money. The opportunity for carriers is to market their positions as intermediaries to merchants and advertisers.
- New wave of private cloud players washes up onshore
A group of new cloud management platforms blur the line between "build a cloud" and "use a cloud."
- New HP data center container goes double wide
Hewlett-Packard?s EcoPOD is a double-wide data center container that gives technicians more room to work in. But managers still have issues with the data center container approach.
- New technologies mean changing roles for data management professionals
Data management professionals need to evolve their skill sets to survive the ever-changing IT landscape, according to experts.
- Kick the fear out of your social media strategy
Companies fear the worst and worry they will lose control of their brands when they go on social channels. Turns out they probably will -- but it could be the best thing that ever happens to them.
- Lost NHS medical records: Laptops had unused encryption software
The NHS has suffered another breach, this one compromising 18 million records. Worse yet: The laptops could have been encrypted with already purchased software.
- Company shares its SAP support staff with others to cut IT costs
One California company is saving nearly $1 million a year by sharing its SAP IT staff with companies that have similar SAP environments.
- Microsoft sets Azure free; Appliance flutters to Fujitsu
Azure has spread beyond Redmond; Fujitsu will offer its own batch of Microsoft's cloud environment later this summer.
- EPA CIO looks to collaboration software for technology innovation
Like private companies, government agencies need to know about technology innovation. The EPA is looking at collaboration software as a game-changer.