Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
- Yahoo?s new company Hortonworks: all Hadoop all the time
Yahoo spins off Hadoop into the new company Hortonworks. Can it compete against other established and emerging big data vendors such as Cloudera, DataStax, MapR and LexisNexis?
- Apple pushes out critical Java security update for OS X users
In an effort to resolve at least two remotely exploitable vulnerabilities that can be taken advantage of whilst a user is browsing the Internet, Apple has released an update to Java SE 6 which appears as 'Java for Mac OS X Update 5 Version 1.0' within the Software Update tab.
- Hyundai tunes ups its customer experience management
Find out how Hyundai boosted its approach to customer experience management. Read best practices for creating customer experience management strategies and learn how to improve customer service.
- Mobile Security Update - AnyConnect released to the Android market
Cisco has followed up its release of the AnyConnect VPN client for Apple iOS devices with the launch of Cisco AnyConnect for Samsung.
- The System Administrators Guild announces 19th annual conference
The SAGE-AU 19th Annual National Conference being held at Hilton on the Park in Melbourne 19-23 September 2011. The theme this year, aligning with the amount of interest in the market around ?Cloud?, is ?The Cloud: Silver Lining of Storm??
- Experts sound off on 'big data' technology, Hadoop and data warehouses
Hadoop and its variants offer analysis for ?big data? sets, but there are integration and availability limits.
- FlashSoft caches server flash, hopes to speed application performance
Headlines: Startup FlashSoft launches software to turn SSD and PCIe server flash into a cache for most accessed data to reduce latency and speed application performance.
- Steps for limiting SAP software purchasing mistakes
A lack of planning -- or asking enough questions -- can result in software purchases that don?t include functionality companies need, according to experts.
- SAP looks to in-memory, mobile, cloud for business analytics strategy
SAP?s executive vice president for business user technologies outlines a three-pronged business analytics strategy: in-memory, mobile, cloud.
- Insider threats a major concern for India Inc: DSCI-PwC study
50% of surveyed IT/BPO cos feel insider fraud perpetrators don?t belong to core IT departments; believe current employees are primary insider threats.
- IBM to battle Amazon in the public cloud
Big Blue takes aim at Amazon Web Services with the Smart Business Cloud - Enterprise, a true general purpose Infrastructure as a Service. And it's priced to compete.
- Considering VDI? Prepare to master layering
VMware and Citrix VDI only go so far. IT pros must add user profile layers, application layers and more to create a true desktop experience through virtualization.
- IBM, HP add public cloud data protection services
IBM rolls out public cloud protection services for backup, archiving and virtual machine DR while HP brings out PC backup service.
- Oracle buys Pillar, Microsoft loses virtualization guy: News in brief
Oracle fills its storage hardware gap with Pillar Data Systems acquisition; virtualization evangelist David Greschler leaves Microsoft; and the feds bust a major cybercrime ring.
- Public cloud computing levels the playing field
Public cloud computing helps small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) realize the benefits of virtualization technology that they couldn't previously afford and helps equalize the market.