WLAN security goes a little beyond wired LANs. Stay safe and don't pay for a costly mistake that can be avoided. This tip is directed toward IT professionals and network administrators.
WLAN's are fast, reliable, but how do you protect your WLAN and your investment? I am assuming you are running more than a home network and you have servers running.
- DO NOT allow SMTP relay.
- DO use SMTP authentication.
- Get a Firewall/NAT router (we use Cisco.)
- Secure all user accounts with hard to guess passwords.
- Monitor your network traffic and block unknown IP/ranges.
- If you use a VPN - secure it too.
- Backup all data!
- Use http authorization to get to the Internet. Some proxy servers support this. Proxy + is a good one.
- Use a stateful packet inspection firewall.
- Update A/V definitions daily if possible.
- If you need better than normal authentication, try using an RSA SecurID solution, smart cards, or similar.
WLAN's are vulernable and it is a good idea to follow a few simple tips to better protect your WLAN. Hackers are smart too but when your WLAN is protected they very well may get frustrated give up.