Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
- Can 4G wireless WAN links serve as more than a backup?
WAN managers have used 3G as a backup. But bandwidth gains and new IT services associated with 4G wireless WAN links have inspired optimism over its potential as a primary circuit.
- VCloud Director no shoo-in for VMware Lab Manager shops
VCloud Director has been positioned as a replacement for VMware?s test and development offering, Lab Manager. But experts say VMware has cut bait on lab management and set out for a larger catch in the cloud.
- MetroPCS deploys new subscriber Web portal to raise mobile ARPU
As MetroPCS launched its LTE network last year, it revamped its legacy mobile Web portal with artificial intelligence to improve subscriber loyalty and boost mobile ARPU.
- Applications interfere with cloud computing adoption
Legacy applications have surfaced as the true challenge in moving to private cloud.
- SAP BusinessObjects unveils analytics software for specific industries
SAP has released new industry-specific analytics software as part of its SAP BusinessObjects 4.0 debut.
- SAP BusinessObjects 4.0 hits the streets
SAP today unveiled BusinessObjects 4.0, the highly anticipated update to its flagship BI and analytics platform.
- SAP virtualization requires specialized skills, experts say
Running a virtual SAP landscape requires a solid understanding of how physical environments work but also demands other skills specific to virtualization, according to experts.
- SAP virtualization and the private cloud: What's the difference?
The private cloud is all the rage these days. Learn more about the differences between SAP virtualization and the SAP private cloud.
- Clustered NAS picked to store petabytes of digital moon images
Headlines: Bracing for petabytes of data expected to come from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), team from Arizona State University's SESE sets up multi-petabyte Isilon NAS cluster.
- Promise delivers cloud storage backup with SMB multiprotocol system
Promise Technology emphasizes data protection with its new SMB multiprotocol NAS and iSCSI storage system, including a cloud backup option and bundled backup software.
- Security job skills lacking when it comes to technology trends
The need for information security pros is growing worldwide, particularly for those with skills to lock down emerging technologies, a new report from (ISC)2 finds.
- A close relationship between IT and facilities ensures uptime
IT and facilities departments have long worked side by side, but true convergence is needed to ensure that virtualized environments continue to receive needed power and cooling.
- Looming IPv6 transition will strain federal cybersecurity
The heat is on federal agencies to transition to Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) within the next 18 months as IPv4 address exhaustion approaches.
- Radiology firm uses Compellent Data Progression to cut disk costs
Compellent Data Progression automated tiering software expands data storage through cheaper tier 3 SATA disks; offers tiering and sub-tiering level options.
- Sub-LUN tiering: Five key questions to consider
IT shops must consider five areas before adopting sub-LUN tiering as offerings vary in number of tiers, block size, analysis period, policies and monitoring
- Auto-tiering software set to boost adoption of SSDs
Discover why auto tiering could make expensive SSDs a more viable option, and about improvements to sub-LUN auto tiering and available auto-tiering options.