Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
- Yahoo deploys open source BI tool made in India
Yahoo builds dimensional model on Hadoop open source BI tool to save costs and analyze huge datasets.
- A CTO's lessons for technology integration and business strategy
Is technology integration with business strategy one of your 2011 goals? Learn from a veteran CTO how to mitigate the risks.
- Wolfram sees mobile apps driving programming changes
With mobile computing on the rise, a rethinking of applications is in order. Mathematica pioneer Stephen Wolfram sees more use of 'questioning' software in the offing.
- Systems management in the virtual age: Out with the old
If you could start over, would you manage your data center with software from the Big Four? In the era of cloud and virtualization, many IT pros say no way.
- Security salary survey: Technical skill in growing demand
The latest security salary survey data shows demand for technical skills has risen, but pay rates have slipped for new M.Sc. graduates.
- Look beyond WAN application delivery to improve user experience
WAN managers must improve user experience by spending as much time listening to end users as they do optimizing WAN application delivery, according to recent research.
- Puppet, DevOps key to data center surge, says Constant Contact
The popular open source configuration management system, Puppet, along with DevOps made it possible for Constant Contact to scale operations from hundreds to thousands of servers in their data center.
- Seagate has SLC/MLC flash enterprise solid-state drives
Headlines: Seagate finally gets into the enterprise solid-state drives (SSDs) space with its Pulsar family of single-level cell (SLC) and multi-level cell (MLC) NAND flash devices.
- Implementing unified communications: A social landlord gets nimble
By implementing unified communications collaboration, non-profit social landlord Newport City Homes in South Wales maximises its call centre and finds efficiency.
- Application integration builds bridge to cloud best practices
A category of cloud computing known as integration-as-a-service is emerging to offer traditional EAI (enterprise application integration) functionality delivered as a service. It is not too early for best practices to emerge too.
- HP as software power? Maybe, maybe not, IT pros say
Hewlett-Packard, suffering from IBM, Oracle and Microsoft envy, resets its sights on software. But customers say it can?t sell what it has now.
- Tech Watch: Four emerging technologies worth your notice
VARs looking to boost their businesses should check out these four IT technology hot spots.
- Self-service success rates plummeting, but why?
The effectiveness of self-service channels has been dropping steadily for years. The TSIA?s John Ragsdale offers some explanations and some remedies in this column.
- Cloud-based networking hardware: Coming to a wiring closet near you?
Cloud-based networking hardware has gained traction in the wireless LAN market, but now vendors are developing wired network devices that are cloud-managed, too. Will cloud-based network infrastructure fill up your wiring closets?