Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, April 28, 2011
- Cloud computing M&A: The good, the bad and the ugly
VMware, CenturyLink and BMC all made acquisitions to further their cloud computing ambitions this week, but who picked a winner?
- Recent data breaches redefine failure, demand new approaches
What do recent data breaches at RSA, WordPress, Sony and the New York Yankees have in common? Companies must not only find weaknesses, but also actively hunt down intruders.
- Forrester suggests a content-centric approach for an ECM strategy
A Forrester Research report says a multivendor ECM strategy might be wise for businesses needing expert functionality in multiple content segments.
- Replacing hardware-based network appliances with virtual appliances
With virtual appliances, enterprises can move network services from dedicated network appliance hardware into the virtual environment.
- Users cite problems with Dell Boomi SaaS integration suite
Dell this week released an update to its newly acquired Boomi SaaS integration suite, but at least two companies say you won't catch them using the product anymore.
- Wise advice: When diving into business intelligence projects, start small
In this Q&A, independent analyst Lyndsay Wise sheds light on how businesses can successfully implement business intelligence projects.
- Supply chain analytics offers cost, revenue advantages
Supply chain analytics and BI could soon transform planning and execution, thanks to cloud-based mobile analytics and real-time data, experts say.
- Blade server technology aids Ester Industries? business plans
With IBM?s blade server technology, Ester Industries ensures that its IT setup is future-ready, in alignment with the company?s expansion plans.
- Amazon's EC2 outage clarifies requirements for an enterprise cloud SLA
CIOs should approach the cloud with the same due diligence with which they approach data centers, and negotiate an SLA with a built-in backup strategy for data and services.
- Analytics Rx: Blending manufacturing data management tools, best practices
Actionable analytics starts with underlying discipline and the right manufacturing data management tools and best practices.
- Sony PlayStation network, Qriocity hacked
The PlayStation Network (PSN) remains down after hackers broke into the network stealing user data from up to 77 million accounts.
- LifeSize debuts video support for enterprise Skype, UC pros still split
LifeSize will natively run Skype's code and federate with its massive directory on LifeSize Passport units, but UC pros remain ambivalent as ever about enterprise Skype usage.
- Microsoft updates Malicious Software Removal Tool for Coreflood removal
The out-of-band update can detect botnet infections and continue to cripple the notorious Coreflood botnet.
- HP shops explore Oracle exit strategies
Businesses running Oracle databases and apps atop HP-Itanium servers are plotting exit strategies.
- VMware users hope PXE Manager isn't just a fling
Users say large environments could benefit from a centralized means of updating ESXi hosts, but there are some network security concerns with the PXE Manager fling.
- TwinStrata expands cloud storage gateway hardware, software
TwinStrata expands its hybrid cloud storage gateways with a solid state drive (SSD) performance model and high availability model, and upgrades software with data volume expansion.
- HP seeks enterprise software cred
Data center pros like what they see of HP software, but weak marketing and sales efforts hurt the brand.
- Oil group gets 80-to-1 data deduplication with ExaGrid; and more news
News roundup: Oil group gets 80-to-1 data deduplication with ExaGrid; IBM helps with ancient landscape; ITN deploys EMC Isilon clustered NAS; West Brom deploys NetVault; and more.