Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
- Gartner: SAP Duet Enterprise brings ERP ?to the people?
In a new report, Gartner says that SAP Duet Enterprise succeeds at something its predecessor failed to do, namely, making SAP ERP easier for business users and casual users alike.
- Multigigabit WAN optimization appliances target WAN replication, DR
WAN optimization vendors are launching multigigabit appliances to address the sheer volume and high-availability requirements of WAN replication and DR traffic.
- SAP to release new BOBJ suite for midmarket
SAP is launching BusinessObjects Edge 4.0 and Crystal Server 2011, two new upgrades to its business intelligence suite targeted to small and midsize companies.
- Exadata and Exalogic's effect on database performance
Oracle Database performance can get a boost from newer Exadata and Exalogic server appliances, but the database design must still be good.
- Codelco CIO transforms business with business process automation
Codelco-Chile's CIO, who won this year's MIT Innovation award, explains how business process automation is changing how the mining company operates.
- Navigating the benefits and challenges of SharePoint virtualization
SharePoint 2010 collaboration environments formed with SQL Server systems are ripe for server virtualization, but support and configuration issues can trip up the unwary.
- BI scene news round-up
Business intelligence is a neccesary discipline and one where the IT department and CIO can add great value. We've seen a lot of announcements recently and summarise the most interesting.
- Security vendors step up IPv6 certifications
IPv6 readiness for networking products and applications in your network can be difficult to assess. Vendors such as Sourcefire are turning to US based ICSA Labs for certification against US based the USBv6 profile.
- Should enterprise IT fear Apple iCloud?
Is there anything to fear from Apple's new iCloud storage service? Enterprises with mobile apps and sensitive data might want to educate themselves on exactly what Apple's offering.
- The IT roles needed for the IT organization of the future
IT's status quo will be toppled by the need for speed and tech-savvy employees. Here's what's vital for operating the IT organization of the future.
- The ACO model and shared savings: Can IT get you there?
The success of accountable care organizations seems possible. Association leaders aren't quite convinced. Either way, IT departments should prepare for a new reimbursement model.
- Comcast offers 10 steps to creating a call center social media strategy
At the annual ACCE show, Comcast outlined 10 steps call center managers can take to create a social media strategy that serves customers.
- Microsoft issues 16 bulletins, 9 critical including SMB, IE fixes
Microsoft?s June Patch Tuesday includes a major security update to Internet Explorer and a repair fixing a serious SMB client bug.
- Free virtualization: It?s free for a reason
Free virtualization hypervisors can be tempting, but they often lack features, such as live migration and high availability, that really unlock the technology?s power.
- Safety compliance software helps minimize workplace accidents
EHS software can help manufacturers build a safer workplace and record incidents when they occur.
- Windows 7 deployment momentum uneven
Windows 7 adoption rates vary according to customer segment, VARs say, and Windows 8 sneak peeks muddy the waters.
- VMware View 5 to add profiles, PCoIP and client support
VMware will deliver some long-awaited features in View 5, but customers of the VDI product won't get everything they ask for.
- NetApp, HDS launch bundles to put storage in the cloud
Headlines: To put storage in the cloud, NetApp updates OnCommand SRM while Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) stacks unified compute platform (UCP), storage and Microsoft apps.
- SMBs get taste for business intelligence strategies, despite hurdles
Increasingly, small and medium-sized businesses are no longer content to sit on the business intelligence sidelines. But midmarket BI projects present some unique challenges for SMBs.