Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, June 30, 2011
- Apple fixes 39 bugs in Snow Leopard, preps for Lion release
Releases final non-security update - v10.6.8- for Snow Leopard OS, which fixes 39 flaws. More details inside.
- Optimizing the capture process within a document management strategy
Analysts offer tips on how to create effective document capture procedures within an organization as part of an enterprise document management program.
- The lure of brand and cloud computing
A little known company recently dropped big bucks on VCE's cloud-in-a-box, vBlock, and got big brand recognition. But is it worth it to spend on name-brand cloud basics?
- How's your software asset management?
Many CIOs expend lots of effort on making sure their hardware is under control but they should apply the same rigour to software
- Experts sound off on 'big data' technology, Hadoop and data warehouses
Hadoop and its variants offer analysis for ?big data? sets, but there are integration and availability limits.
- An advanced switch port mapper: Solarwinds User Device Tracker
Solarwinds' User Device Tracker is a new switch port mapper that can find any device plugged into a network, track when it was last connected or send an alert when it reconnects.
- Building out a private cloud, Chicago style
Illinois techies band together to sneak a cloud through the system and deliver for schools.
- Telecom cloud services must differentiate with security, provisioning
By offering telecom cloud services that do more than spin up servers and software, carriers can shed their reputations as slow-moving phone companies.
- Users won't plug in tablets, but mobile UC via Wi-Fi still dicey
Laptops, tablets and smartphones have evolved into multipurpose mobile UC endpoints, but their preferred access?Wi-Fi?hasn't kept up.
- Regional extension centers progressing, survey finds
A recent eHealth Initiative survey suggests that the nation's RECs are now supporting providers as they purchase and implement EHR systems. Many have their eyes to the future, too.
- Platform as a Service tempts manufacturers with savings, customization
For small or cash-strapped manufacturers, Platform as a Service can provide a low-cost, low-maintenance infrastructure.
- Forrester predicts a rise in demand for data virtualization technology
Demand for data virtualization technology will grow as users look for alternatives to traditional data integration techniques, according to Forrester.