Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
- Know the four building blocks of IT governance frameworks
Centralization and analytics are keys to realizing costs savings and efficiencies from IT governance and portfolio management.
- Watson?s natural language processing takes crack at unstructured data
IBM?s Watson computer defeated human contestants on Jeopardy. But Craig Rhinehart styles it more as a computing breakthrough than digital Rain Man. Is it the key to unstructured information?
- Desktop virtualization now being pushed by the business, not by IT
Virtual desktop infrastructure no longer is the end-all solution for desktop virtualization, and the technology's business use cases are shifting.
- Nicor manages customer experience from the inside out
Nicor National believes that managing the customer experience starts with improving the customer service representatives? environment.
- Privacy policies by organizations will need overhaul soon: Report
New technologies and changing privacy regulations will require businesses to define new privacy policies, according to Gartner.
- Forrester: Smaller SAP implementation partners sometimes the best option
While many companies gravitate to large service providers for their SAP implementations, smaller partners can often be less expensive and provide niche expertise, according to Forrester.
- Experts debate merits of virtualized vs native iPad EHR implementation
While native apps and virtualization both have their tradeoffs for iPad EHR implementation, health IT leaders agree: The tablet is here to stay in hospitals.
- LSI MegaRAID CacheCade gets write caching capability
LSI updates its MegaRAID CacheCade SSD caching software, adding write caching capabilities.
- HP tackles redesign and delivery challenges with ALM suite
Software mainstay HP is looking to addresses application life cycle management needs for applications embracing the new cloud computing architecture.
- Positive psychology on Agile teams
Everyone, including Agile team members, can benefit from the power of positive thinking. The keynote speaker at this year?s Agile2011 conference, Barbara Fredrickson, explained how positive psychology relates to success in Agile development, including increasing creativity, performance and decision-making abilities.
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday: Critical Internet Explorer, Windows DNS updates
Coding errors could enable attackers to target Windows machines remotely, gain access to sensitive data and gain complete control of a victim?s computer.
- Cloud BI and analytics: Should the cloud be in your BI forecast?
In video Q&As, business intelligence analysts and IT vendors discuss the potential benefits and challenges of cloud BI and offer advice on using cloud computing technology as part of a BI strategy.
- Government IT spending report could spark virtualisation adoption
A scathing report on the UK government?s IT spending may lead the public sector to search for savings with virtualisation and cloud computing, experts say.
- Contract negotiations evolve with Agile development: Q&A with Angela Druckman
Standard methods for contract negotiation are changing as organizations adopt Agile development, according to Agile2011 presenter Angela Druckman. This inteview examines practical considerations for developing contracts in an Agile environment.
- Web content optimization rewrites HTML to improve application delivery
Web content optimization vendors have taken on a heretofore neglected application delivery niche: Rewriting HTML code for more efficient presentation of Web-based applications.
- Nexsan spins its own NAS array, the E5000 platform
Nexsan Corp. comes up with its own NAS array, the E5000, with support for tiering software and solid-state caching to boost performance.
- Ignored password security policy leads to school data breach
Password reuse made it easy for a student hacker to get into the Gosport's Bay House School database and expose the details of nearly 20,000 people.
- 'Big data' poses big challenges for traditional analytics approaches
Using analytics tools to transform raw data into business intelligence gold is where the real opportunity lies in today?s influx of "big data." But that can require new thinking, and new technologies.
- ?Big data? sprawl forces new thinking on data warehouse strategies
The flood of ?big data,? particularly unstructured information, is pushing organizations to look beyond traditional data warehousing. That creates new opportunities but also new challenges.