Latest Technology News from the TechTarget NetworkMonday, April 26, 2010
- Podcast: Randy Rice on software development scenarios
Expert Randy Rice explains software development set backs, overcoming delayed learning curves and agile's influence on development.
- EMC SAN failure blamed for Intermedia hosted email outages
Exchange hosting provider Intermedia said in an email to customers that a hardware failure on an EMC SAN caused an outage April 16, a previous outage in March was also reportedly due to a SAN failure.
- Supply chain risk management software guide
This supply chain risk management software guide will help you understand SCRM software and SCRM FAQs, best practices and how spend management fits in.
- Microsoft, Symantec reports mirror global information security trends
Vulnerability disclosures are trending downward prompting cybercriminals to use more targeted attacks. Attack toolkits gain sophistication.
- Symantec Internet threat report highlights botnet, malware trends
A new Internet threat report from Symantec indicates that botnets and malware infect a new computer worldwide as often as every 4.6 seconds.
- SAN switch market: Director-class switches help fabrics grow
Director-class switches are more resilient and scalable than fixed SAN switches; they also allow Fibre Channel fabrics to grow their port count by the addition of extra modules.
- AgileZen acquisition shows lean development's gains in Agile ALM
AgileZen is a startup that has caught the eyes of many agile and ALM customers as well as the vendor Rally Software which recently acquired the Web-based AgileZen.
- Researchers find 1.5 million stolen social networking passwords
A recently discovered stash of 1.5 million stolen passwords and credentials for social networking sites may usher in a new wave of U.K. cybercrime.
- Podcast: Tim Riley on open source tools and testers
Tim Riley, Qualtity Director at Mozilla, explains open source projects, tools and testing -- which is the topic of his keynote at STAREast.
- PCI security compliance experts share ways to get compliance 'done right'
Don't whine about having to achieve PCI compliance and don't think of PCI as an end-goal, said two experts at SOURCE Boston 2010.
- CIO Klub survey highlights process improvement as top IT priority
IT priorities for 2010-'11 move from last year's focus on cost reduction to process and performance improvement.
- MDM with SOA can improve metrics, but metrics not only concern
SOA can improve speed and frequency in an MDM system, but good definitions are more important. Mergers make definitions tricky but are a good opportunity to overhaul MDM strategy.
- Virtualisation is not a panacea and neither is the cloud
Our expert gives his take on cloud computing providers, including why you should care about what cloud type you choose and where it's located.
- Risk assessments in disaster recovery planning: A free risk assessment template and guide
A risk assessment is a critical part of the disaster recovery planning process. Read our guide on how to prepare a risk assessment, and then download our free risk assessment template.
- Data center network automation tool: Lab-style provisioning in the cloud
A new data center network automation tool – once used in networking testing environments – takes lab-style provisioning into the data center for application and resource provisioning on demand across public and private cloud networks.
- BWise's CTO on the power of meshing GRC management and continuous controls monitoring
BWise's latest innovation integrates continuous controls monitoring (CCM) with its GRC management suite. CTO Luc Brandts talks about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Cloud Computing for Dummies
Learn how to assess the benefits and risks associated with cloud services before introducing it to your organization in this sample of Chapter 22: Starting Your Journey to the Cloud, from "Cloud Computing for Dummies."
- Companies eager to adopt cloud computing, according to ISBS 2010
Brief: Preliminary findings from the PricewaterhouseCoopers ISBS 2010 semi-annual survey of U.K. corporate security trends shows a large increase in the popularity of wireless networking and cloud computing.
- Interop Las Vegas 2010: Storage and network convergence take focus
Storage and network convergence are taking center stage at Interop Las Vegas 2010 as experts address virtualized servers, networks and I/O for application fluidity.
- How cloud computing reduces data center power consumption
Cloud computing can reduce total data center energy consumption, says Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory scientist Jonathan Koomey.
- Nimbus Data Systems launches Nimbus S-class all-solid-state, no-disk storage system
Nimbus Data Systems looks to make a splash with the Nimbus S-class multiprotocol solid-state storage system that has no disk and is priced at less than $25,000 for 2.5 TB, roughly the same price as some spinning disk systems.
- Security awareness and its role in energized infosec initiatives
Security awareness programs are rarely taken seriously. Here are some tips on how you can enhance the effectiveness of security awareness programs.
- HP ALM quality offerings address application modernization
HP has launched a new line of application tool upgrades that aimed at improving and enhancing application modernization issues. These new features will allow for end-to-end business process testing, agile development among other improvements.
- New Microsoft CRM prices undercut Salesforce.com
Microsoft will sell its Dynamics CRM application for $19 per user per month, a third of the price of SaaS superstar Salesforce.com's offering.
- Data architect uses business rules and scorecards to keep MDM clean
An enterprise data architect for a medical supply company used business rules and scorecards, along with a new tool, to clean up master data between three business units.
- Director-class SAN switches handbook
Learn about the evolution of the director switches market, how director switches differ from standard switches, and how products from Brocade and Cisco compare.
- Data deduplication and backup: An essential guide to data dedupe technology
Learn about data deduplication best practices in this essential guide on data dedupe and backup technology.
- Lessons learned: The Lincoln National case of shared passwords
An incident involving shared passwords at the financial services firm illustrates the critical need to control user access.
- Guarding against virtualization security risks and vulnerabilities
You can limit virtualization security risks and vulnerabilities by understanding attack vectors. This section of our virtualization security guide helps you prevent attacks.
- Disaster recovery plan testing primer: Test to fail
Disaster recovery testing is highly valued among standards and DR/BC organizations, but these tests are only effective if you perform them correctly.
- Director-class SAN switch product guide with Brocade, Cisco Systems specs
This director-class SAN switch product guide provides the attributes of director switch products and a spec list for Brocade and Cisco Systems directors.
- Director-class SAN switch benefits: Scalability and reliability for SAN fabrics
Benefits of using a director-class SAN switch in SAN fabrics is improved scalability and reliability, as well as advanced features such as security and application support.