Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
- SAP to add Sybase's mobile platform, database business
SAP will buy Sybase for $5.8 billion adding in-memory technology and mobility to its applications business.
- News from EMC World: VPlex, DD Boost, FAST 2 and enhancements to Clariion and Celerra
Headlines: EMC's release of VPlex, which joins storage across geographic expanse, attracts attention at EMC World 2010; plus, Data Domain expedites backups via new software, and EMC reveals plans for FAST 2.
- Data migration planning: Developing an effective data migration strategy
Data migration planning can be hard, but creating a data migration strategy that covers tools for migrating data and enforces data migration policies can result in a successful data migration project.
- Weighing Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010 offers a slew of new features for both end users and IT pros. Check out the pros and cons of the newest suite in this guide for enterprises and consumers.
- A CIO's approach to managing single sign-on in the cloud
Medical informatics provider Schumacher Group integrates on-premises and Software-as-a-Service-based client identities with a single sign-on service.
- Data Domain provides Boost in data dedupe performance
The new version of Data Domain's integration with Symantec data backup software offloads some dedupe processing to the backup server; integration with EMC NetWorker is planned for later this year.
- Operations Manager 2007 R2: Using alerts, running reports
Operations Manager 2007 R2 alert tuning can be a nuisance, but this chapter excerpt explains the best practices and how to schedule maintenance reports.
- Fed DNSSEC project going slowly
The process of implementing DNSSEC into government domain names has been a slow one, but is nevertheless gaining traction.
- Addressing common lean manufacturing implementation myths
In this book chapter excerpt, find out the truth behind common lean manufacturing implementation myths and misconceptions.
- Study on security in cloud computing shows angst, rogue users
Many IT pros don't know the number of cloud-based services used in the enterprise and few are taking chances moving sensitive data to the cloud, a Ponemon Institute survey finds.
- Overcoming lean manufacturing challenges
In this book chapter, learn how to overcome lean manufacturing challenges and common obstacles to lean success.
- Here are 15 reasons desktop virtualization fails
At Citrix Synergy this week, Brian Madden and Gabe Knuth will talk about 15 reasons desktop virtualization projects go down the tubes. Don't let this happen to you.
- WLAN performance, management key to all-wireless enterprise
If an enterprise wants to unwire its network and become an all-wireless enterprise, it will need WLAN management tools which can ensure that WLAN performance and reliability is equal to wired.
- Using OpsMgr 2007 R2 to monitor Windows Server 2008 R2
This chapter excerpt offers information on OpsMgr 2007 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 monitoring, as well as what's new in OpsMgr R2 and how OpsMgr works.
- EMC previews FAST 2, block-level compression, common management console for Clariion and Celerra
EMC unveiled FAST 2 with sub-LUN automated tiered storage, block-level compression, and Unisphere management console for Celerra and Clariion disk arrays at EMC World; plans further consolidation between Clariion and Celerra.
- Symantec offers hosted security for small and medium businesses
The security software maker presents a hosted security service designed to replace in-house data protection for small and medium businesses.
- Handling CIO careers during the post-recession job change
A new job does not rule out unforeseen challenges for the CIO's career. In fact, successful CIO careers demand that they leave a margin for the unexpected.
- EMC-Brocade 10 Gigabit Ethernet deal raises questions for Cisco
As successful virtualization increasingly relies on networking, EMC will resell 10 Gigabit Ethernet switches from its close partner Cisco, but also from Cisco's competitor, Brocade.
- Apple iPad security debated as U.K. launch approaches
As the iPad's May 28 U.K. launch approaches, experts weigh in on security issues for the iPad and other non-traditional computing devices.
- Middleware Minute: May 2010
In this month's middleware minute, VMware/SpringSource general manager Rod Johnson discusses uses and architecture for VMforce, a Java platform cloud offering from VMware and Salesforce.com.