Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, June 3, 2010
- Time for appraisal of your IT team: Do you have the process?
Post-recession, the rate of attrition is going up—especially among IT personnel. So it's time to pay more attention to performance appraisals of IT teams.
- Common mistakes in an Exchange Server 2010 migration
If you're planning an Exchange Server 2010 migration, it's best to take a holistic approach -- test, rehearse and document the upgrade -- so you don't hit any snags during the transition.
- New Jersey bank fined $1 million for BSA violations
FinCEN penalty against Pamrapo Savings Bank comes two months after the bank pleaded guilty to conspiracy to violate the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Jewelry manufacturer chooses Oracle on Unix over x86
Jewelry manufacturer Stuller chose Oracle on Unix and Intel Itanium rather than x86 when changing out its old Superdome. But why?
- Symantec to consolidate Veritas Cluster Server and storage resource management applications
Symantec set to consolidate storage resource management (SRM) products while working more closely with VMware; customers want clearer messaging around Symantec's products for Oracle and Windows.
- Celestica launches SAP Business Analytics Center of Excellence project
Celestica's senior director of business support solutions shared his tips on how his company launched a Business Analytics Center of Excellence project with SAP BusinessObjects.
- HPCL ensures security at database levels for e-tendering application
Leading refinery HPCL protects sensitive bid information stored in its e-tendering application database with database security solutions.
- Is virtualization cloud computing?
Most private cloud computing relies heavily on virtualization. But for successful private cloud computing, virtualization must work together with several technologies.
- Cloud computing management guide for enterprise CIOs
CIOs are drafting cloud computing management strategies, as their organizations look to the cloud for scalability, affordability and greater computing ability. Learn more in this guide.
- Malware discovered in freely distributed Mac applications
Security researchers at antivirus vendor Intego have discovered spyware attached to freely downloadable Mac applications. The malware is difficult to detect.
- CIOs must manage changes in IT due to cloud computing services
Cloud computing services cast a shadow of fear over IT departments that are scrambling to change amid a flurry of business units bypassing traditional channels.
- WSO2 launches Platform as a Service enabler software
Open source software Stratos aims to turn enterprise clouds into Platform as a Service with WSO2's Carbon middleware.
- Channel Chat: Atrion SMB president discusses SMB networking services
SMBs are spending more and more money in IT -- and that business could be yours to grab. In this Channel Chat, Rick Norberg, president of Atrion SMB, discusses Atrion's new SMB venture and provides advice on offering SMB networking services.
- Microsoft to issue 10 security bulletins, three critical
Ten security bulletins include three critical updates to repair vulnerabilities in Windows and Internet Explorer.
- Bridging the communication chasm between IT and finance teams: Q&A
When IT and finance teams work together, data centers are seen as valuable assets instead of cost drivers and business productivity increases, according to Lauralee Martin, executive VP and global CFO and COO of Jones Lang LaSalle.
- Wireless network standards update
WLAN standards continue to evolve, offering higher performance and enabling new applications. 802.11n delivers more deployment options as well as more bandwidth, but enterprises must still pay great attention to wireless security standards.
- Why your business process change management model needs to change
Business process change management itself is changing, because of the rise of social media, the consumerization of IT and the pace of change. Learn what you need to do to keep up.
- Why some users dread business collaboration tools, feel they waste time
Some users hate business collaboration tools. Developing a collaboration strategy ahead of deployment can help enterprises maximize UC investments by matching them to business needs and processes.
- IT pros hope for Win Server beta at TechEd; SAP goes mobile
Windows shops hope for Win Server 2008 update beta; other news.
- Wholesale telecom services: Emphasize services, not access
If Tier 1 operators want to recover the billions of dollars that wholesale telecom services units used to reel in, their approach to wholesale will have to mirror their consumer and enterprise strategies -- focus less on access and more on services.
- Data center networks and server virtualization: Who has a silver bullet?
Server virtualization has forced network vendors to reinvent the data center network. Everyone has his own vision of how to deliver a network that is optimized for virtual data centers. Enterprises should think twice about just going with their incumbent vendor.