Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
- Linux and the cloud: Tips, news and advice
Where does Linux fit into the cloud as an operating system? This digest of tips, news and advice features topics such as the best open source cloud monitoring tools, and the surge in popularity of open source in the cloud.
- Former @stake researcher Aitel insists on data classification
Know your data before turning to the cloud, says Dave Aitel, CTO of Immunity Inc. Aitel criticized traditional security technologies at FIRST Conference 2010.
- Storage Decisions sessions ID storage networking roadmap; startups emerge with solid-state devices
Headlines: In storage networking, Ethernet alongside Fibre Channel calls for thorough implementation planning, said presenters at Storage Decisions; Kaminario emerges from stealth with a DRAM-based solid-state storage device.
- IBM Innovate 2010 conference coverage
This year, IBM's Innovate conference topics ranged from improvements made in its ALM tools Rational and Jazz to how software can improve the world. Conference attendees were encouraged to speak up about their ideas for improvements that could be made to the Rational line and how to make the world a greener place.
- The real value of virtualisation
Discover how to fully realise the benefits and cost savings of virtualisation, including the importance of maximising energy efficiency and meeting IT project deadlines.
- Eucalyptus hits 2.0 with Windows machine support
Eucalyptus Enterprise Edition 2.0 launches with Windows Server 2003 and 2008 support, not to mention new group management and billing features.
- SharePoint is a hit for Microsoft but still clunky for IT
SharePoint is Microsoft's fastest growing server software, but IT managers still grouse about its lack of acceptance and the difficulties in supporting this increasingly common collaboration platform.
- VCenter database installation in SQL Server 2005, Oracle
This chapter excerpt offers the steps for vCenter database installations in both SQL Server 2005 and Oracle 10g and 11g as well as information on configuration settings.
- Service delivery management: Integrating IT management tools
Enterprise network management software vendors are retooling their products for service delivery management. Service assurance products from NetScout, CA and others are combining network management with other IT management tools to give enterprises a unified approach to troubleshooting.
- DataDirect Networks CEO: We're not for sale
CEO of high-performance computing (HPC) storage specialist DataDirect Networks says customers are increasingly requiring mixed I/O capabilities and high bandwidth.
- Business service development: Lessons learned from the frontlines
There is no clear-cut path for IT to follow when it comes to business service development. CIOs and experts share their dos and don'ts.
- ISV stall makes virtualising applications a challenge
Virtualising applications brings many benefits, but few organisations are 100% virtualised. Why? Some ISVs won't support their software as virtual applications.
- HP buys instant-on Linux to boost handheld efforts
HP has purchased Phoenix Technologies' slim Linux OS HyperSpace along with HyperCore and PhoenixFlip technologies, which could help the company in the tablet and mobile device market.
- What to keep in mind when shopping for a small-business printer
For those considering a new small-business printer this year, there are a lot of new options. Read this brief rundown on what it all means for more informed buying decisions.
- Bring your own PC comes despite vexed IT pros
To the chagrin of IT pros, end users want to bring their own devices to work. Virtual desktop technology can help those companies willing to support non-standard computers.
- Microsoft partners balk at MPN requirements
Even many Microsoft Gold partners say the vendor asks too much for top-tier partner status.
- Compliance, consumer demand driving carbon management software adoption
Faced with new EPA regulations and a growing public interest in sustainability, companies are turning to carbon management software to monitor and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
- VCenter Server installation requirements
Properly preparing for a vCenter Server installation involves identifying hardware, operating system, database and networking requirements before implementation.
- Nasuni Filer and cloud storage help school with offsite DR; and other data storage news
Nasuni Filer, cloud storage help with offsite DR; Double-Take's new Microsoft integration; FalconStor SMB CDP; Mozy offers new cloud storage services; failover vendor SteelEye adds UK resellers.
- Green data storage technology survey: Green storage a priority for European storage professionals
Our technology survey finds green data storage a priority for most European storage professionals; learn the green storage features and technologies respondents are implementing.
- VCenter Server installation steps and components
Take a look at this excerpt and learn the vCenter Server installation steps, including how to install a vSphere client and vCenter components such as vCenter Guided Consolidation.
- Citrix XenServer 5.5 requirements and installation: Study guide
Test your knowledge of Citrix XenServer 5.5 hardware and software requirements as well as the installation process for XenCenter and XenServer virtual machines.
- BI SaaS: Getting a fix on your business in a tight economy
BI SaaS solutions for the cloud are causing more commotion among enterprise and midmarket companies alike than are cloud apps for email and CRM.
- Green storage technologies let data centres enable energy-efficient storage
Learn what is driving green storage initiatives, as well as why technologies like server virtualization, spin down and MAID can bring greater energy efficiency to your data centre.
- IT managers say cloud computing can wait
At Enterprise 2.0, users are looking for products, not cheerleading. We get cloud computing -- show us the money, they say.
- Data storage technology brings data center power consumption benefits
As data center power consumption rises, some IT shops find unexpected benefits in more efficient data storage technology. Find out how two firms saved money on power.
- Verizon Cloud Storage service lets customers choose data location
Verizon Cloud Storage offers on-demand capacity, lets firms place data in designated storage nodes, and provides an API to embed the service in Web and third-party apps.
- Cloud computing from A to Z
From Amazon EC2 to Windows Azure, we define the terms you need to know in this cloud computing glossary.
- Green storage: The state of energy-efficient technology
Find out how green storage solutions and energy-efficient technology are being implemented, and how European storage professionals prioritize green products.