Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Monday, June 21, 2010
- Citrix Essentials, XenServer licensing Q&A
Linux expert Sander van Vugt answers frequently asked questions on Citrix Essentials and XenServer licensing. He also provides information about Citrix License Server requirements.
- Continuous data protection is still alive in backup and recovery
Continuous data protection is still alive in backup and recovery, and an important feature in backup applications.
- Disk archiving appliance types: High-end systems to low-end email archiving appliances
Learn about the basic types of disk archiving appliances, from high-end disk archiving systems that handle multiple content types to low-end disk-based archive appliances.
- HP tackles deduplication, EVA clusters, virtual desktop storage
Data deduplication, storage virtualization and an iSCSI SAN for virtual desktop infrastructures (VDIs) highlight the news from the opening day of Hewlett-Packard's TechForum.
- NuBridges update enables simultaneous data center tokenization
The software update helps enterprises coordinate the issuing of tokens among multiple data centers, and apply the technology to PII and PHI.
- Fibre Channel and Fibre Channel over Ethernet are in balance for Brocade
For Brocade, Fibre Channel and FCoE form complementary pillars of its storage networking roadmap. That puts it in a good position compared with its rivals.
- Small business backup quiz
Test your knowledge of backup and recovery, and take our small business backup quiz.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity planning templates: Free downloads
We've compiled our best resources on disaster recovery and business continuity templates for your convenience.
- Deduplication explained: A quiz on data dedupe
Take our Deduplication Explained Quiz and learn everything you always wanted to know about data dedupe.
- 6 Gbps SAS drives signal end of line for Fibre Channel disk drives
Shift to 6 Gbps SAS drives signals the end of Fibre Channel disk drives, as manufacturers plan no upgrades or improvements beyond current 4 Gbps FC iteration.
- SAP showcases more Web 2.0 with "Elements" project
SAP is working on an initiative called "Project Elements," intended to bring more of Web 2.0 to Enterprise software – aimed at really making it "my" SAP.
- Some Microsoft shops can't abandon VMware; choosing ESXi over ESX
This week's VMware news roundup includes news on Microsoft shops that are hesitant to abandon VMware technologies, and a case study about choosing ESXi over ESX.
- PCI call centre: Understanding PCI DSS call recording requirements
New guidance has recently been released to help companies struggling with PCI call centre compliance understand the mandates. The guidelines, coupled with emerging call centre security technologies, could greatly aid companies' compliance efforts.
- Calculating the return on investment from VDI
Achieving ROI from a VDI implementation requires a well-thought out design, architecture and deployment plan.
- For Google, DNS log analysis essential in Aurora attack investigation
A malicious link in an instant message set the stage for a well-coordinated network infiltration of Google's systems. Subtle clues helped investigators trace the attacker's steps.
- World Cup player's downtime inspires free VMware uptime
The injuries keeping Greek defender Vangelis Moras off the World Cup field spur hosting company StratoGen to give away VMware services; plus more daily news.
- Ingram Micro longtime services chief departs
Ingram Micro loses services chief; Cisco launches SMB storage
- What are synthetic backups and can you eliminate full backups?
Learn about synthetic backups and whether or not the synthetic backup process can eliminate full backups.
- Backup applications tutorial: Top new features and technologies in backup and recovery apps
In this tutorial on backup applications, we'll explain how new technologies have changed backup applications to help you decide which backup application is best for your company's data protection needs.
- Data dedupe is transforming backup to disk
Learn about how data dedupe is transforming backup to disk and backup apps in part two of our tutorial.
- Data protection management features take you beyond simple backup statistics
When it comes to things like trending, capacity planning and issues beyond traditional backups, standalone data protection management products have carved out a unique niche.
- Virtual server backup may finally be getting a little easier
Virtual server backup may finally be getting a little easier, thanks to some new features and tools in popular backup applications.
- Archive appliances hold appeal for SMBs and IT shops with regulatory compliance requirements
Disk-based archive appliances tend to hold sway with SMBs and industries facing regulatory compliance requirements as an alternative to software and cloud storage archive options.
- Regulatory compliance issues drive some IT shops to data archive appliances
Regulatory compliance issues are causing some IT shops to choose purpose-built data archive appliances over other options to retain data over the long haul.
- NuBridges update enables simultaneous data center tokenisation
NuBridges Inc. has released an updated version of its enterprise tokenisation product, seeking to eliminate a key pain point for large companies implementing tokenisation.
- Disk archiving appliances market outlook
Learn about the market outlook for disk archiving appliances, alternatives to archiving appliances and how vendors are repositioning archiving appliances for growth.
- Terremark opens cloud services center in Amsterdam
The Network Access Point of Amsterdam will give Terremark a leg up in expanding its cloud computing services to Europe and beyond.
- DataDirect Networks CEO: We're not for sale
CEO of high-performance computing (HPC) storage specialist DataDirect Networks says customers are increasingly requiring mixed I/O capabilities and high bandwidth.
- Cloud, SaaS on the horizon for state and local governments
Government VARs report growing interest in Software as a Service and cloud solutions among state and local agencies.
- Disk archive appliances a niche approach to long-term retention
Learn if your company is a good fit for a disk archive appliance, the trends in the archive appliance market and alternatives to disk archiving appliances today.
- A disaster recovery planning guide for beginners
In this disaster recovery planning guide, we've got the best tips to get you started with your DR plan.
- A free disaster recovery template for conducting a physical assessment of your DR facilities
Download our free disaster recovery template to learn how to conduct a physical assessment of your disaster recovery facilities.