Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
- CIO priorities for 2010: India Edition
As far as India is concerned, CIO priorities have shifted focus from cost control to customer service as well as budget mapping post the economic slowdown.
- The Outlook 2010 ribbon
Microsoft Outlook 2010 includes the ribbon feature, which makes sending messages simpler and improves the overall Outlook 2010 experience.
- The clean up option in Outlook 2010
Take advantage of the Outlook 2010 clean up option and remove yourself from redundant messages at the folder level or conversation level.
- Publish calendars online with Outlook 2010
Microsoft Outlook 2010 allows users to publish calendars online and lets them control who views their personal Outlook calendars.
- 6 Gbps SAS drives signal end of line for Fibre Channel disk drives
Shift to 6 Gbps SAS drives signals the end of Fibre Channel disk drives, as manufacturers plan no upgrades or improvements beyond current 4 Gbps FC iteration.
- HP reloads for 'converged infrastructure' war with Cisco
HP and Cisco customers may get caught in the crossfire of the two vendors' converged infrastructure' skirmish.
- 40 and 100 Gigabit Ethernet ratification doesn't mean immediate uptake
40 and 100 Gigabit Ethernet ratification means that vendors can roll out standardized 40 and 100 GbE switching products with enormous speed, but users are likely to hold off until prices come down and the need for performance is greater.
- Hackers' guide to Windows file server security
Many network hacks can quickly happen right under your nose. Learn to test your file servers from common attacks by taking on the mindset of a hacker.
- Adobe focuses on secure software development lifecycle
With its popular software increasingly targeted by hackers, Adobe has stepped up efforts to secure its applications.
- Trustwave buys Breach Security for WAF technology
Trustwave said it would integrate Breach's Web application firewall into its pen testing and code review services. Vendor says it's committed to ModSecurity.
- Gartner: Enterprises must learn to detect botnet threats
Botnets will be a major problem for at least the next two years and key cloud computing and virtualization security decisions could determine the outcome of future attacks.
- Aptare adds SAN change management to SRM suite
Aptare updates its StorageConsole suite of SRM and monitoring tools, adding a Fabric Manager that provides visibility and offers change management for Fibre Channel SANs.
- The backstage view in Outlook 2010
Recall and resend messages with the Outlook 2010 backstage view. This feature allows you to move messages to a different folder and learn new ways to work with your documents.
- The Mail Tips feature in Outlook 2010
Outlook 2010's Mail Tips lets users avoid common mistakes like emailing a large group of people or sending a message to someone who's out of the office.
- The conversation view in Outlook 2010
The conversation view in Outlook 2010 lets users sort through inbox clutter to easily view past email conversations within a specific message chain.
- The Outlook Social Connector
The Outlook 2010 social connector combines users' social networks into one area, making it easier to find and manage this information within Outlook.
- HP's emerging take on services for hybrid application delivery
HP's updated Business Service Management (BSM) software aims to support hybrid application delivery models, paving the way for enterprises to run their software with broader cloud options.
- The ignore option in Outlook 2010
Using the ignore option in Microsoft Outlook 2010 allows you to remove yourself from irrelevant email conversations.
- WAN bandwidth optimization tools and techniques
WAN bandwidth optimization tools and techniques are explained in this primer on getting the most out of your business wide area network links. This introduction to WAN technologies discusses methods and products that accelerate traffic so that your company does not have to buy costly bandwidth upgrades.
- BI software advances can't address adoption issues, CIOs say
At a recent business intelligence summit, CIOs were excited over the rapid evolution of BI software -- but mindful of how hard it is to make BI solutions work.
- Managed network security services learning guide
The management of network security services is a unique offering for a security solution provider. In this guide, we review all the steps that will help you assess and maintain the security of your customers' networks.
- Top 10 new features in Microsoft Outlook 2010
There are several new features included in the Microsoft Outlook 2010 release that can help both you and your users. Our expert offers the 10 best in this slideshow.
- Quick steps in Outlook 2010
Create your own quick steps in Outlook 2010 with the built-in editor that simplifies common tasks such as emailing your team or manager.
- Energy Star for data centers is first definitive green data center rating
The has EPA rolled out its Energy Star label for data centers, the first energy-efficiency rating for the industry.
- Free Windows performance monitoring tools not to be missed
Unbeknownst to some admins, the latest versions of Windows Server include new or updated tools that can minimize the need for third-party options.
- PCI Standards to be updated on new three year cycle
The PCI Security Standards Council will update the PCI Data Security Standard on a new three year cycle after the latest update is applied in October.
- Outlook 2010 task notes
Task notes in Outlook 2010 offers appealing new options for users, such as OneNote, that will ease task management and organization.
- SAS-2: Benefits and drawbacks of the newest Serial Attached SCSI version
Learn about the latest version of Serial Attached SCSI, SAS-2, including which segment of the market it holds advantages for, how it compares with Fibre Channel and SATA, and its key drawbacks.
- Survey: Financial pros not following FINRA guidance for social media
Financial advisors are using social networking for business but report a lack of policies, archiving, study shows.
- Nasuni offers bounty to break encryption in the cloud
Cloud storage startup Nasuni is offering $5,000 to anyone who can crack a file the company has left on Amazon S3.
- Your Windows desktop questions, answered
Windows admins face an array of problems on a daily basis. We took some of your toughest IT questions from our IT Knowledge Exchange and gave them to our Windows expert to answer.
- Solving video driver errors in Windows systems
Video card drivers are a main cause of Windows freezes. The new Timeout Detection and Recovery feature fixes these hang ups without rebooting.
- Salesforce Chatter is officially live
Chatter, Salesforce.com's cloud-based social application, is now in general availability, but real-world reactions from users are mixed at best.
- Gartner: Companies shouldn't bother banning Facebook, social networking
The research firm argues social networking isn't the responsibility of enterprise information security, but social media governance policies and monitoring practices are important.
- Second factor authentication (2FA) solutions: Evaluation, FAQs & more
Select the right second factor of authentication (also known as two factor authentication or 2FA) technology for your organization with these comprehensive resources.
- Disaster recovery plan at heart of data center consolidation project
A data center and IT strategy overhaul will give one state a much-needed disaster recovery plan on a green ticket.
- HP adds G7 ProLiant servers to BladeSystem lineup
Hewlett-Packard's updates to its BladeSystem Matrix will boost memory and performance by adding G7 ProLiant servers; plus more daily news.
- Analysis: IBM discusses Financial Markets Framework
The occasion of IBM's newly unveiled Financial Markets Framework leads to some ruminations on the build-borrow-and-or-buy equation.