Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
- Red Hat announces new cloud computing services
Red Hat Cloud Foundations assists with the immediate creation, configuration and deployment of private clouds, along with providing consulting services and training classes.
- Virtual storage via HDS USP VM disk array helps Canadian city upgrade to VMware ESX Server 3.5
City of Coquitlam, B.C., encounters no major obstacles in virtual storage implementation, as part of an upgrade to an HDS USP VM disk array and VMware ESX Server 3.5.
- Wanted: New skills for cloud computing success
As IT departments adapt to the cloud, managers may need new skill sets to make cloud computing architectures work.
- Performing virtual machine backups with VMware Consolidated Backup
Learn if VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) is right for your storage environment and discover some alternative technologies for virtual machine (VM) backups.
- Windows server backup in Windows Server 2008 R2
Take a look at the best practices for Windows server backup in Windows Server 2008 R2, including configuring backup settings and performing system state and bare-metal backups.
- The future for VMware's vStorage APIs for Data Protection looks promising
VMware's vStorage APIs for Data Protection offer a lot of new features that outweigh the benefits of VCB, so it's predicted to take the place of VCB in virtual server environments.
- Pair your Win 7 and virtual desktop migrations
Windows 7 migrations and virtual desktop rollouts are big, disruptive projects that are best done together.
- LeftHand virtualized storage helps Texas school board with synchronous replication
Learn how virtualized storage from LeftHand Networks helped the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) move toward synchronous replication between its two data centers.
- Cloud computing service quiz for enterprise CIOs
Is your organization ready to ramp up its cloud computing service offerings? Read these recent stories and take our quiz to assess your cloud computing readiness.
- IT project management basics: Get the individual components right
What are the basic aspects of proper IT project management? We caught with leading Indian CIOs to reach a consensus on IT project management basics.
- SMBs building IT service catalogs on their own terms
SMBs are choosing their own IT service catalog building blocks as ITIL proves too resource intensive.
- Podcast series: Agile and open source development advice
Software development organizations often concern themselves with how to lead their distributed agile teams and what open source tools to use. In this podcast series, Matt Heusser covers a variety of topics including distributed agile development, test management and open source tools.
- Tokenization versus encryption: RSA touts tokens to reduce PCI DSS pain
Payment processors are touting tokens to protect payment data, but a lack of standards can result in vendor lock-in. An encryption and token expert says more work is needed.
- Running mobile ERP on smartphones
As ERP and supply chain software moves to smartphones, developers are learning to navigate each platform's limitations for running mobile ERP.
- Storage virtualization projects: Factors to consider when implementing storage virtualization
Storage virtualization projects are complex. Learn the various factors to consider when implementing storage virtualization and when to consult professionals.
- HP StoreOnce's first job is backup data deduplication
Hewlett-Packard has high hopes for its StoreOnce data deduplication software, but it faces stiff competition for Data Domain on the backup side; Dell also set to enter primary deduplication market.
- Energy Star for data centers is first definitive green data center rating
The has EPA rolled out its Energy Star label for data centers, the first energy-efficiency rating for the industry.
- Gartner: Enterprises must learn to detect botnet threats
Botnets will be a major problem for at least the next two years and key cloud computing and virtualization security decisions could determine the outcome of future attacks.
- CCIE recertification alternative: CCIE Emeritus program for veterans
CCIE recertification can be onerous for high-level engineers who no longer have hands-on technology roles. Cisco's CCIE Emeritus program offers these veterans the opportunity to stay connected to the program without having to obtain CCIE recertification -- but will it tell the world they don't know the technology?
- Aptare adds SAN change management to SRM suite
Aptare updates its StorageConsole suite of SRM and monitoring tools, adding a Fabric Manager that provides visibility and offers change management for Fibre Channel SANs.
- Virtualized storage project: DataCore SANsymphony implementation no small task for healthcare firm
Healthcare firm implements DataCore SANsymphony virtualized storage as part of eight-month infrastructure project to manage more than 200 TB of medical imaging data.
- HP tackles data deduplication, EVA clusters, virtual desktop storage at HP TechForum 2010
Data deduplication, storage virtualization and an iSCSI SAN for virtual desktop infrastructures (VDIs) highlight the news from the opening day of Hewlett-Packard's TechForum 2010.
- Increase in phishing attacks against nationwide banks
RSA researchers say large U.S. banks experienced a surge in phishing attacks this spring.
- USB thumb drive security best practices spelled out by NIST
The National Institute of Standards and Technology's own policies and technical requirements on USB thumb drive security furnish other federal agencies with a de facto set of best practices.
- Microsoft brings HealthVault to the UK
By launching the cloud-based organiser HealthVault in the UK, Microsoft will provide a monitoring platform for such data as blood pressure and heart rate; plus more daily news.
- Block-based storage virtualization project guide
Learn the challenges and rewards of real-world block-based storage virtualization implementations, involving three types of storage virtualization products.
- Desktop virtualization: Storage requirements planning
Desktop virtualization is gaining traction among users. Learn the benefits of desktop virtualization, and how to implement and deploy desktop virtualization.
- Bare-metal, system state recovery in Windows Server 2008 R2
Use this chapter excerpt to find out how to perform a bare-metal recovery and system state recovery in Windows Server 2008 R2, including how to use Windows system recovery tools.