Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Friday, June 25, 2010
- How to get your automation process right
The chief roadblock to automation is poor communication between clients and vendors. Assumptions especially make for a rough transition. Our expert offers advice on how to get it right.
- Boosting private cloud computing infrastructure with WAN optimization
As it continues to build out its private cloud computing infrastructure, one furniture manufacturer is using WAN optimization to improve cloud application performance across the WAN and minimize the effects of latency.
- Remember when? Cloud memory I/O benchmarks released
The testers at CloudHarmony.com have produced new cloud computing benchmarks, focusing this time on memory performance.
- Aviation industry avoids the public cloud
An airline industry survey found that 60% of its members were supportive of adopting cloud services over the next couple of years, with the vast majority looking to private clouds.
- Secure Web gateway success hinges on one key feature
The CISO for the city of Portland, Ore., advises that every enterprise be aware of one must-have secure Web gateway feature before buying.
- Amazon touts Pfizer and other wins in the enterprise
Amazon brought enterprise customers out to show the world that its Amazon Web Services cloud is safe, but even they say that progress is measured by degrees.
- Microsoft sets minimum sales levels for ERP VARs
Next year, the company will raise training requirements for VARs selling ERP and CRM.
- Sun shines on Oracle's 25% rise in Q4 profits
The purchase of Sun Microsystems in January is cited for sparking a large jump in Oracle's latest profits; plus more daily news.
- Red Hat users eye Xen-to-KVM move
Support for KVM server virtualization has grown, but users who make the move from KVM to Xen face a potentially complex migration process and political minefields in the data center.
- Five private cloud computing best practices
Private cloud computing is something with which enterprises are coming to grips. Check out our list of five best practices for successfully deploying a private cloud.
- Gartner: Windows 7 security features have strings attached
Many of the software giant's highly touted security features cost extra to get, require additional Microsoft products to run and lag behind third-party vendors.
- Outsourcing disaster recovery does the trick for Lakshmi Vilas Bank
Lakshmi Vilas Bank's focus on outsourcing disaster recovery requirements has resulted in an increase of cost benefits and customer satisfaction.
- VMware View 4.5 to ship late, minus profile management
VMware has pushed out delivery of its next generation virtual desktop software -- View 4.5. The company also axed one of its star features.
- Energy Star for data centres is first definitive green data centre rating
The EPA has rolled out its Energy Star label for data centres, the first energy-efficiency rating for the industry.
- Double-Take Flex for HPC brings iSCSI SAN boot to HPC Server
Double-Take Software offers Flex for HPC, a diskless iSCSI SAN boot solution for Microsoft's HPC Server R2 that includes an iSCSI target and iSCSI provider.
- Bloxx provides means of filtering personal emails
A new email filtering appliance claims to be able to separate business email from personal email, quarantining personal messages until after working hours.
- VMware and Novell: Where's the JeOS?
VMware's decision to use SUSE Enterprise Linux Server as the foundation of all virtual appliances will be welcomed by most VMware users, but our expert questions whether the company will offer a richer set of support inside the guest operating system.