Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Friday, July 2, 2010
- Blue Chip cuts ribbons on UK 'Eco' data centre
Blue Chip has unveiled its UK 'Eco' data centre, designed to use half the energy of data centre facilities of a similar size; plus more daily news.
- When is SOA the right road to application modernization?
You must distinguish between service orientation and service-oriented architecture. Also ask if legacy code is good enough to benefit from modernization.
- After a CIO career of 35 years, Indian Oil's Swaranjit Soni retires
During his successful CIO career, Swaranjit Soni paved the success for Indian Oil's IT initiatives—both customer facing and internal.
- VMware View 4.5 minus RTO equals partner snafu
Since VMware pulled the profile management feature that was to ship in View 4.5, partners have to fill gap or sell incomplete solution.
- New Cisco protocol, FabricPath, eyes long-distance migrations
FabricPath, a new Cisco protocol, is coming to the Nexus operating system and Unified Computing System. It can help you migrate customers' virtual servers across domains.
- Oracle VM machine coming to appliance market
The Oracle VM machine will bundle Oracle VM and management software on a server with networking and storage hardware. But will it help Oracle compete in the virtualization market?
- Will 50 TB tape cartridges prove a boon for data archiving?
Developments in tape technology could result in 50 TB cartridges with advances in indexing and search that enhance the medium's value for data archiving more than traditional backup.
- GoGrid opens new data center on the East Coast
GoGrid, the cloud computing provider, has announced the opening of a new "state of the art" data center at an Equinix facility in Ashburn, Va., where there looks to be a good mix of bandwith and customers.
- Private clouds on the horizon
Whether you are itching to move to private cloud today or still in research mode for the future, the following special report includes all our best tips and guides on how to get there.
- Shared serial-attached SCSI (SAS) offers networked storage benefits on a budget
Greg Schulz, founder and senior analyst with the Storage IO Group, talks about the pros and cons of shared serial attached SCSI in this Q&A.
- Law firm security gets positive verdict with UTM device
Deploying a UTM device, while not a panacea, can aid information security efforts from many angles, according to one law firm security officer.
- Using a virtual private network service as part of a disaster recovery plan
Learn how to choose the best virtual private network service so you employees can keep working during a disaster.
- EMC Atmos Online goes offline, other cloud storage providers look to step up
EMC Atmos partner Hosted Solutions launched its backup storage service days before EMC decided to dump its Atmos Online service; EMC hopes to line up other service providers.
- Using a storage partition in your data storage infrastructure
Learn about the common use cases for a storage partition in a data storage infrastructure, as well as the differences between a storage partition and a LUN.
- BPM Case Study: Streamlining a water treatment workflow system
Business Process Management efforts call for systems that effectively mimic current processes, and which can make changes on the fly when exceptions occur. They respond to ad hoc needs.