Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
- FalconStor virtual storage supports server virtualization project at construction company
FalconStor virtual storage implemented at construction company; Buffalo partners with NovaStor; Cloud provider uses DataCore storage virtualization; Infortrend expands array range; Portable solid-state storage; UK SMEs slack at backup; Sepaton new version; StorageCraft launches VirtualBoot.
- Avnet finalizes Bell Micro buy; Amazon's cloud move
Bell Micro bolsters Avnet's storage biz; Amazon IT gets cloudy; other news.
- Backup and recovery software Quality Awards: 2010 enterprise and midrange winners
Storage magazine and SearchStorage.com conduct an annual survey among readers to identify the best backup and recovery software. Find out which vendors' products came out on top in this year's survey, which is broken down by enterprise and midrange products.
- Host-based vs. client-based 'remoting' protocols
Microsoft RDP and Citrix ICA were once remote display protocols, but client software isn't dumb anymore, and RPP and HDX allow for partial "remoting" with some redirection.
- Don't keep quiet after a data security breach
Organizations who stay silent after a data security breach end up paying a higher price and helping cybercriminals.
- ISO 38500 versus COBIT: What is the right choice?
As IT governance gains prominence in the organizational setup, the stage is set for a war between ISO 38500 and COBIT.
- Amazon.com attempts IT switch to cloud computing
Amazon's internal IT is starting down the road to cloud computing, but the company's in the same boat as other enterprises: switching isn't always easy.
- Techniques to improve IT innovation: Chapter download
Encouraging IT innovation in your organization can boost your competitive edge and staying power. Get tips to successfully drive innovation with this free chapter download.
- Black Hat 2010: New Firefox tool to clean Adobe Flash file errors
Browser-based add-on, Blitzableiter, cleans SWF files prior to running on a user's computer. The tool will be released at Black Hat 2010 in Las Vegas.
- Trojan virus attack using hijacked Web browser sessions hits UK banks
The Silon Trojan, accompanied by the new Agent.DBJP Trojan, is targeting specific UK online banking credentials, according to findings by Trusteer Inc.
- Core Security unveils beta of automated security testing appliance
The pen-testing specialist offers a preview of its new product, which it says can automatically pinpoint second- and third-level exploits to avoid Heartland-style data breaches.
- Exchange admins await iPhone iOS 4 fix
IT shops are still looking for a real fix to the performance drain caused by Apple's new iPhone operating system, iOS 4, and Exchange ActiveSync.
- Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor: Hardware, software compatibility
Use this chapter excerpt to find out how to use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to test hardware compatibility, including printers and hard drives, and software compatibility.
- Windows 7 compatibility: Solving Hardware, software issues
Windows 7 compatibility has improved over previous Windows versions, especially when it comes to finding and installing hardware easily, and overcoming software incompatibilities.
- EMC news: Company to sell Atmos Online only via providers; buys data warehouse vendor Greenplum
Headlines: EMC's move to sell its Atmos service only through service providers comes as good news for its service provider partners; the company also snagged another layer of the infrastructure stack with its acquisition of data warehousing company Greenplum.
- Pros and cons of using enterprise master data management with BI
Enterprise master data management is a big task. Some CIOs are finding quick wins by starting MDM within their business intelligence efforts. For others? It's a no-win.
- EMC to acquire Greenplum
Storage giant EMC will acquire privately-owned data warehousing vendor Greenplum; plus more daily news.
- CloudAudit goes to 1.0 with new API standards
CloudAudit has authored a set of new capabilities for cloud computing providers around their application programming interfaces.
- Mainframe utilities and terminology guide
This guide and glossary details the IBM mainframe utilities and other mainframe technologies to further best practices in mainframe management.
- Running Windows 7 applications: Using Windows Virtual PC, XP Mode
This chapter excerpt offers information on how the Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode features can help Windows 7 applications to run smoothly.
- VMware View 4.5 minus RTO equals partner snafu
Since VMware pulled the profile management feature that was to ship in View 4.5, partners have to fill gap or sell incomplete solution.