Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Friday, July 9, 2010
- Microsoft to patch serious zero-day flaw, fix display driver bug
Microsoft plans to release four bulletins, next week, repairing an actively targeted Help and Support Center zero-day vulnerability in Windows XP and a display driver error.
- Promise adds snapshots, thin provisioning, storage virtualization; and other data storage news
Promise rolls out storage appliance with management, data protection; Arkeia adds backup agent for VMware; VCE alliance gains first European Vblock 1 sale; and other data storage news.
- Top SearchITChannel.com stories for June 2010
Oracle Corp.'s handling of the Sun Microsystems' hardware channel and the influx of iPads into corporate IT were among the top SearchITChannel.com stories in June.
- Web-based services may push traditional enterprises to CDN services
As content delivery network (CDN) prices fall and adoption of Web-based applications rises, CDN services will be more relevant to brick-and-mortar enterprises -- but not for some time.
- Pros and cons of using enterprise master data management with BI
Enterprise master data management is a big task. Some CIOs are finding quick wins by starting MDM within their business intelligence efforts. For others? It's a no-win.
- Fujitsu to invest $1.1 billion in cloud, nurture 5,000 cloud experts
The Japanese IT giant will spend 25% of its 2010 capital investment on cloud computing, including plans to cultivate 5,000 cloud experts by 2011 and build out a data center in China.
- Ohio State University communications department likes its tape for backup and archiving
OSU administrator finds tape cheaper, greener and better suited for backup and archive than disk, despite all the talk that tape is dead; uses Spectra Logic tape libray with backup and archiving software from Atempo to protect rapidly growing multimedia data store in a Macintosh environment.
- Profile management void has VMware View users seeking options
- Microsoft BPOS, cloud to dominate partner confab
Microsoft partners want better incentives to push Business Productivity Online Suite and Microsoft cloud.
- Exclusive PCI DSS news: EU regional director rallies UK merchants
The PCI Security Standards Council has appointed Jeremy King the European regional director to focus its efforts in the EU and help merchants meet the approaching PCI DSS deadline.