Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Monday, July 12, 2010
- Server virtualization ignites SAN project for explosives firm
After implementing Microsoft Hyper-V server virtualization project, explosives company Austin Powder picks FalconStor NSS iSCSI SAN to improve efficiencies.
- Ministry of Justice asks for input on UK privacy laws
In a recent statement, the European Commission has labelled UK privacy laws too lenient to meet the strictures of the EU data protection directive. The Ministry of Justice (UK) has opened a call for evidence to get public opinion on the matter.
- Energy Star storage, storage efficiency technologies ease power burden of data storage equipment
Energy Star storage list will make it easier to compare power usage of data storage equipment; meanwhile, storage efficiency technologies ease power burden.
- IT chargeback: A fundamental part of cloud computing takes shape
IT chargeback is being put to the test by cloud computing. Which metrics can be used to charge business units for IaaS, PaaS and SaaS?
- Microsoft unveils Azure-in-a-box
Microsoft will sell Azure appliances to customers large enough to qualify. Will the move help Redmond compete in the private cloud market?
- IT Amendment Act 2008 compliance guidelines for India.org
Here are some practical guidelines for organizations that are looking to comply with IT Amendment Act 2008.
- Channel Chat: Julie Parrish discusses NetApp networking partner potential
With more networks being converged, network convergence services may become a viable business option for networking solution providers. But this requires knowledge (and partnership) with storage vendors. In this Channel Chat, NetApp channel executive Julie Parrish discusses the NetApp partner program, and how networking solution providers can fit. Learn about the potential for networking solution providers to partner with NetApp to offer network convergence services.
- Microsoft lets businesses run Windows Azure in their own data centres
Microsoft has announced plans for businesses and partners to run the cloud-based operating system Windows Azure in their own servers through purchasing its Appliance package; plus more daily news.
- New data warehousing tools and backup agents for VMware
This news roundup includes articles about EMC's purchase of Greenplum Software, a new backup agent for VMware and how open source tools will shape cloud computing's future.
- Microsoft advances betas for Windows 7, Server R2 service packs
Windows 7 SP1 doesn't actually include any new features, but the server offers VDI features that IT shops need.
- Microsoft's beta announcements signal cloud computing blitz
The keynote speeches from Microsoft's head honchos at the Worldwide Partner Conference emphasized Redmond's cloud computing push.
- Overcoming barriers to application modernization
Cost reduction efforts drive today's push for application modernization. The barriers to implementing application modernization are the initial cost, risk, business buy-in and subject matter expertise, according to a recent Forrester Research study.
- Are value-added resellers (VARs) an SMB's best friend?
If SMBs do the right research, a VAR, or channel partner, can often provide the IT assistance they need.
- Corporation Bank's disaster recovery setup goes beyond standard DR
When the leading Indian bank felt that its standard disaster recovery site was not enough, it went in for a 3-way disaster recovery setup.
- Panel advocates need for cloud computing data security standard
A panel of cloud computing experts recently discussed the need for -- and difficulty in creating -- a data security standard for cloud providers at the Cloud Computing World Forum in London.
- Virtual Profiles customers endure VMware acquisition of RTO Software
Small companies sell innovation, but they are often gobbled up by market leaders. IT pros share some defensive tips to guard against acquisition-related woes.
- Converged data centers to drive joint IT services
IT services collaboration will grow as VARs and vendors drive converged data center deals.