Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
- WAN optimization and disaster recovery
WAN optimization offers a perfect fit with disaster recovery by squeezing more bandwidth from links between primary and secondary data centres.
- Citrix XenServer 5.6: What's new?
Citrix XenServer 5.6 offers advanced hardware support and other new features, such as live memory snapshots, but it lacks notable management
- Illumos project looks to shed light on OpenSolaris for ZFS storage
Former Sun and current Nexenta engineer leads effort to revive OpenSolaris source code used in ZFS storage systems. Oracle's involvement is a question mark.
- The end of the physical server is nigh
After virtualising non-critical business data, the next step away from physical servers is tackling greater risks to produce higher rewards, according to our expert.
- Mainframers weigh IBM z196 claims
IBM's new big iron, zEnterprise, piqued some mainframe users' interest at Boston's Share conference on Monday, but not for managing distributed infrastructure.
- IT and business management: Service, process and project performance
Blending IT and business is crucial for today's midmarket CIOs. Expert tips and advice on ITIL, ITSM and outsourcing are provided in our IT and business management guides.
- Security and risk management in the midmarket
Keeping your information safe and secure is a top IT priority. Information security, risk management and defending your data are covered in our midmarket guides. Learn more.
- Business software guides for the midmarket: CRM, ERP, Web 2.0 and more
Find a wide range of business software solutions for the midmarket, covering everything from ERP software to Web 2.0 applications in our business software guides.
- Midmarket data center management guides: Tips and best practices
Don't get lost in your data center! Learn more about data storage, data center virtualization, green IT and more in our data center management guides.
- Analyzing cloud computing's past and future
The credit crunch, broadband penetration and the maturation of Web-based services have all contributed to cloud's increased adoption levels. But where will the cloud go from here?
- AIIMS' patient management system: A home-grown success story
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) develops patient management system to manage patients with fake registrations; reaps rich dividends.
- Using network flow analysis to improve troubleshooting and performance
Using the network flow monitoring and network flow analysis capabilities of Stealthwatch, a regional blood center improved overall network troubleshooting, performance and reliability.
- Energy statement to Parliament may drive UK data centres offshore
A recent statement by Energy Secretary Chris Huhne to Parliament may drive data centres away from UK shores, according to a data centre company; plus more daily news.
- Top SearchITChannel.com stories for July 2010
Desktop virtualization and the Microsoft WWPC dominated the top stories this month.
- Corporate business services: Repurpose to reap value and flexibility
CIOs are taking a hybrid approach to the creation of IT and corporate business services, repurposing existing technology and adding new service delivery methods.
- Recession-weary server buyers return to Dell
Dell was among the first companies to suffer from the recession, but its server business is coming back with a vengeance, surveys show.
- BlueCat and Afilias offer DNS as a Service
The new Proteus service from BlueCat Networks and Afilias claims to remove DNS management and security tasks entirely…for a fee.
- Cisco and NetApp certify FCoE to run with VMware; JetBlue now uses EMC Avamar
Headlines: Cisco and NetApp have certified end-to-end FCoE products to run with VMware vSphere and hope this certification will spur the technology's adoption.
- Digital signature implementation yet to gain momentum in India
Although digital signature implementations are high forms of online security, these are yet to find widespread acceptance in India.
- Citrix quietly slips new features into XenDesktop SP1
For XenDesktop 4, Citrix separated fixes in its service packs from new features in its feature packs. So why did it put two new features into SP1?
- Myth vs. reality: FCoE data center networks
Fibre Channel over Ethernet continues to be a hot topic, with networking and storage vendors aligning themselves on opposite sides of the debate. Cut through the myths of FCoE data center networks to choose your next generation of data center networks.
- No more second chances: When it's time to change WAN service providers
Dumping a WAN service provider isn't a casual decision, but there are some problems you shouldn't put up with. We asked three IT pros to share what pushed them over the edge.
- Hyperic monitoring deepens ties with VMware vCenter
Monitoring tool Hyperic now integrates with VMware vCenter. But Hyperic's strong ties to SpringSource, the creator of a Jave development platform, may signal cloud plans as well.