Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Friday, August 20, 2010
- Mobile device management requires strict storage, security policies
IT administrators must acknowledge the importance of mobile devices as business tools and develop mobile device management policies to support and restrict their use.
- SAS 2.0 improvements spur shift from Fibre Channel drives to SAS drives
SAS 2.0 increases interface speed to 6 Gbps, improves connectivity and facilitates better signal-to-noise ratio, which will propel the shift to SAS drives over next five years.
- Enterprise energy management networks
Enterprises are implementing IP-based energy management networks that can monitor and manage energy use across building facilities and IT resources alike. Network admins must learn enterprise energy management systems quickly.
- Chapter Excerpt: Launching and Sustaining Modernization Initiatives
This is an excerpt of Chapter 15 from the new book, Information Systems Transformation: Architecture-Driven Modernization Case Studies, authored by William M. Ulrich and Philip H. Newcomb, published by Morgan Kaufmann. For more info, please visit the book's website. Safari Books Online subscribers can access the book here. This chapter discusses various aspects of launching and sustaining modernization initiatives, including a discussion of pitfalls to avoid, modernization principles, tool and service strategies, where to start, and what to expect from modernization in the future.
- Chapter Excerpt: Cloud Computing E-Book - Chapter 2: Re-make or Re-model?
As developers consider moving applications to the cloud, to what extent will they have to re-think familiar go-to languages to make apps work there? This chapter from the SearchCloudComputing.com e-book helps answer this question by discussing languages for cloud computing, distributed caching, scaling horicontally, and more.
- Chapter excerpt: 'Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook' an encyclopedia for systems admins
Preview a chapter from the fourth edition of the 'Unix and System Administration Handbook,' a practical guide for both new and seasoned systems administrators that covers topics such as software configuration management.
- Biodiesel mandates cause backup generator problems
States such as Minnesota and Oregon have passed biodisel mandates, but data center managers say biodiesel use leads to data and contamination problems in backup generator fuel supplies.
- VMware users yearn for Cisco 1000V competition
With advanced networking announcements coming at VMworld, users say want more competition, standardization and lower costs to link virtual and physical network management.
- Red Hat still catching up in virtual server management
Reports indicate that Red Hat has bought virtualization management IP from Fortisphere. With or without acquisitions, users say that Red Hat needs to step up its management game.
- IT Client Manager r12.5 boosts virtual desktop shift, says CA
New deployment and management support in CA IT Client Manager r12.5 could ease customer transition to virtualized desktops.
- Without killer IPv6 services in the mix, consumers aren't IPv6 ready
Until killer IPv6 services and applications are driving demand, consumers aren't interested in being IPv6 ready, a Stratecast study shows. This leaves carriers that want to charge for IPv6 addresses with a dead-end strategy.
- Social networking: Workplace productivity, security no match for Facebook
Findings from a recent survey conducted by Network Box Corp. gauge that use of Facebook and YouTube has risen 10% over the last quarter. Are companies prepared for the risks?
- Amazon extends inbound data transfer freebies
Continuing a promotion scheduled to end in June, Amazon Web Services will offer free inbound data transfer until November.
- ROI calculators for cloud computing: Cracking the code
Amazon, Microsoft, Google and Rackspace all offer cloud ROI calculators, but can they really help you figure out the true worth of cloud computing?
- IT managers rescued by cloud computing
IT chiefs explain why and how they chose to use cloud computing, including the Telegraph Group, British Airways and a life boat charity, to name a few.
- Veeam offers Veeam Report Free Edition
Virtualisation management vendor Veeam has revealed a new version of its Veeam Reporter product, for free; plus more daily news.