Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Monday, August 30, 2010
- What's the value of ITIL foundation certification?
The ITIL foundation certification sets the baseline for understanding the move to an IT service management model. Whether it is required by your organization, for personal resume enhancement, or even to move into another type of IT role, an ITIL certification should be on your task list.
- CA to acquire Arcot Systems for SaaS identity management
CA said Arcot's software as a service delivery model could help accelerate its delivery of CA identity and access management technologies from the cloud.
- Security information sharing is a shared responsibility
Senior Site Editor Eric B. Parizo says infosec pros need to participate in the public dialog for the good of the industry and offers harsh words for companies who silence their own security talent.
- Analysis: Big Data skills
Big Data skills include natural language processing and text mining, and familiarity with Clojure, Scala, Python, Hadoop and Java; also useful are data mining skills with tools like R and Mathlab; finally, look for scripting and functional language skills with Erlang and new database development skills with such rarities as Cassandra and CouchDB.
- Dell partners see opportunity in possible 3Par buy
If anyone doubted Dell as an enterprise player, its high-stakes battle for 3Par should erase them.
- Users find VMware management tools subpar
This roundup provides reactions to VMware's management tools and how many use third-party tools to fill in the gaps. There are also testimonials on the value of VMworld networking.
- vSphere features: How VMware backup enhancements can help data backup and recovery
Take a closer look at vSphere features for VMware backup, including VMware Data Recovery, Changed Block Tracking and vStorage APIs for data protection, to learn how virtual server backup has improved.
- The future of HDD technology will rest on cooperation among the five HDD manufacturers
The transition to next-gen HDD technology will be expensive, with four divergent technologies that threaten to fragment development efforts.
- Third-party SharePoint backup tools: A SharePoint tutorial
Learn about third-party SharePoint backup tools in the second part of our SharePoint tutorial by W. Curtis Preston.
- Virtual machine backup plays prominent role at VMworld 2010
Storage product news leans heavily toward data protection on first day of VMworld 2010, with Veeam previewing virtual machine backup upgrades and Neverfail extending continuous availability OEM deal with VMware.
- Quantum launches midrange virtual tape library with data dedupe technology
Quantum rolls out DXi6700 at top of midrange family of data deduplication backup devices; virtual tape library appliance bucks trend of NAS disk targets in midrange.
- What you need to know about Linux backup tools
Linux backup can be confusing and daunting. To help you gain a more in-depth look at Linux backup, we've compiled five helpful tips and articles.
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners
In this guide on cloud storage services for SMBs, get all of your cloud storage questions answers with the latest tips and expert advice.
- Protecting branch offices with cloud disaster recovery
Cloud disaster recovery can be a good way to protect your remote offices if you virtualize and deploy WAN optimization in your ROBO environment before implementing cloud DR.
- CA adds another cloud company with $200 million Arcot purchase
After shelling out $200 million on cloud-based authenticator Arcot, CA has spent almost $1 billion to bolster its cloud portfolio.