Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
- Tips from our judges
This article offers 10 tips on how to submit a product for consideration in our Products of the Year awards.
- Snapshot technology for data backups: What to watch out for
W. Curtis Preston explains snapshot technology, the challenges of snapshot backup, as well as the top three mistakes people make when considering snapshots.
- Microsoft investigates Internet Explorer CSS bug
A flaw in Internet Explorer 8 can enable an attacker to steal data or force the victim to post to Twitter or other social networks.
- VMware customers virtualize Windows apps with Hyper-V
IT shops are running business applications on ESX, but then frequently turn to Hyper-V when they virtualize their Windows apps.
- Roles and responsibilities in an ALM-focused organization - Part 1
Colleen Frye interviews industry experts about the roles and responsibilities of ALM-focused organizations. In this article, the dismantling of silos with higher emphasis on team communication and collaboration is discussed.
- Command line basics for open source virtualization management
To effectively manage an open source virtualization environment, you must learn the command line basics. Commands and scripts can streamline your efforts.
- Managing Hyper-V from the command line prompt
Administering a Hyper-V environment through the command line prompt saves time and reduces mistakes. These resources demonstrate how to run commands and cmdlets in Hyper-V.
- A command line tutorial for server virtualization management
Do yourself a favor, and learn how to execute commands from a prompt. This command line tutorial will help you simplify and speed up certain aspect of your job.
- IT shops resist Oracle VM push
Oracle's leadership wants to steer customers toward its Xen-based hypervisor, but users are forging their own path with VMware's vSphere.
- Top SearchITChannel.com stories for August 2010
The hottest news on SearchITChannel.com in August 2010 dealt with HP CEO Mark Hurd's departure and Oracle cutting the channel out of Sun hardware renewals.
- CISSP quiz: Telecommunications and network security
In this CISSP quiz, which is a part of the SearchSecurityChannel CISSP Study Guide, you can test your knowledge of telecommunications and network security.
- VMware scripts and commands: A management guide
New to VMware scripts and commands? These command line resources will help you overcome VMware management hurdles.
- Hosted unified communications and managed service providers: UC in the cloud
Enterprises are turning to managed service providers (MSPs) or pursuing fully outsourced hosted unified communications (UC) in the cloud to reap UC's benefits without major risk or investment. Learn the pros and cons of MSPs and hosted UC.
- Simplify virtual machine backup with image-level backups, CDP and near-CDP
Learn how to simplify virtual machine backup with image-level backup, continuous data protection (CDP) and near-CDP in this column by W. Curtis Preston.
- Best backup and recovery software: CommVault wins enterprise honor, Acronis top midrange app
Learn who won the best backup and recovery software award from Storage magazine's Quality Awards program in 2010.
- Symantec delivers NetBackup with data deduplication on appliance
Symantec ships its first NetBackup bundled appliance targeted for enterprise backup; also adds cloud connectors to NetBackup and Backup Exec software and adds eDiscovery upgrades to Enterprise Vault.
- Developing an emergency communications plan: A template for business continuity planners
Find out the proper steps business continuity planners need to take to develop and execute an emergency communications plan, and download our emergency communications plan template in this guide.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity planning tools: A guide to selecting the best product
Choosing DR/BC planning software for your DR plan can be overwhelming. Use this guide to select the best product.
- VDI's storage hunger: Dollars per gigabyte and IOPS load don't mix
Don't underestimate the cost of storage for virtual desktop infrastructure. IOPS load can diminish some of the benefits of desktop virtualization.
- New backup services compete for cloud market
Disaster recovery providers Continuity Centers and Backupify have launched dueling cloud-based backup services.
- Five tips for evaluating the TCO of a cloud application
Before moving applications into a cloud computing environment, take a look at these five guidelines for calculating the total cost of ownership of your apps.
- Survey says software audits on the rise
More than half of UK businesses have been audited by a software publisher or other body in the last 12 months, according to a survey from FAST Ltd; plus more daily news.