Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
- Pliant Technology introduces multi-level cell (MLC) solid-state drives
Pliant Technology offers its first multi-level cell (MLC) flash solid-state drives; sees MLC and pricier single-level cell (SLC) devices forming enterprise performance and capacity tiers.
- Where is the real session-based application-aware routing?
Application-aware traffic management technology that exists today just doesn't cut it. This Fast Packet blogger would like to see session-based application-aware routing that provides visibility of session state, application behavior and bandwidth use.
- Adobe warns of critical zero-day flaw in Reader, Acrobat
No patch yet available for zero-day vulnerability that is reportedly being exploited in the wild.
- Snort creator remains guiding force behind network detection system
Martin Roesch, founder and chief technology officer of Sourcefire Inc., and inventor of the popular Snort open source IDS tool said most improvements are based mainly on his ideas.
- Phishing attacks target users of Facebook, other social networks
Cybercriminals are dumping the traditional email phishing campaigns for social networks, where it's easier to social engineer attacks and gain trust of users.
- For some, move to cloud computing means move to open source
Some organizations new to open source will sort through a host of alternatives as they consider re-architecting for cloud environments. Hadoop, Eucalyptus, Hyperic are just some of the open source chocolates in the box.
- Brocade opens up more IT services to partners
Brocade Communications will pare back named accounts to 200 to 250 worldwide and funnel IT services for the rest to partners.
- Bank, brewer increase use of virtual servers; where does 3 PAR bidding war leave HP and Dell?
Headlines: According to administrators at VMworld 2010, virtual servers are being used more often by storage shops because they are becoming more comfortable with the technology.
- A guide to scorecards and information dashboard design
Experts share their information dashboard design tips and scorecard template how-tos in this guide of real-world dashboard and scorecard development dos and don'ts.
- Intel's McAfee buy marks a turning point for security
Is McAfee really worth $7.68 billion? If Intel's security plans extend from software into hardware and cloud computing, the acquisition could lead to a major shift in IT security.
- Rackspace entices Windows developers with Visual Studio 2010 add-on
The Rackspace Cloud Plug-In for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 allows .NET developers to deploy and develop in Rackspace's cloud environment.
- VMware customers virtualise Windows apps with Hyper-V
IT shops are running business applications on ESX, but then frequently turn to Hyper-V when they virtualise their Windows apps.
- IBM pulls plug on Verne Holding's Icelandic data centre
Many of the companies hoping to store data at Verne Holding's Icelandic data centre facility have pulled out of the project; plus more daily news.
- IT shops resist Oracle VM push
Oracle's leadership wants to steer customers toward its Xen-based hypervisor, but users are forging their own path with VMware's vSphere.