Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, October 21, 2010
- Brocade embeds FCoE switch, adapter on IBM BladeCenter
IBM embeds Brocade FC switch, converged network adapter in BladeCenter; Emulex upgrades its switch on chip (SOC); American Megatrends launches unified storage system.
- Attackers getting creative, thwarting botnet detection, research finds
The Georgia Tech Information Security Center Emerging Cyber Threats Report outlines the increasing sophistication of botnets, mobile attacks and related cybersecurity issues.
- Application architecture in a Web-oriented world: Part Three - SOA in the next computing era
Thirty-year IT veteran Tom Nolle discusses the pain points that application architects face when working with Web services. This part of the interview focuses on the chubby client, which has emerged as an alternative to the traditional thin client versus thick client paradigm. According to Nolle, the chubby client is the future of mobile application development.
- NoSQL, Git and more on ThoughtWorks radar
Managing technology is usually a risk-reward scenario where you maintain a portfolio of ready-for-primetime technologies and skills, while keeping an eye open for new and possibly game-changing technologies. Yet you know that you can take a trip down a black hole if you pick too many new technologies that are … not-ready-for-primetime. Enter the "ThoughtWorks Technology Radar" as a helpful gauge. The able crew at the ThoughtWorks' consultancy is keeping a running tab on technologies du jour with a regular Technology Radar publication.
- Slumberland shuns VMware for Hyper-V on Cisco UCS
While Cisco Systems' Unified Computing System is a natural fit with VMware's vSphere, a furniture retailer chose the cost savings and manageability of Hyper-V over VMware.
- Don't put cloud cart before virtualization horse
It's easy to get caught up in the latest virtualization and cloud computing technologies. But don't forget, there are still organizations that haven't virtualized at all.
- EMC-Dell partnership thorny after 3Par fiasco; other news
The EMC-Dell partnership remains on ice as EMC hasn't decided if it's going to forgive and forget after Dell's 3Par bid; NCC Group buys ISEC Partners.
- Yankee Group calls early leaders among 4G wireless operators
A new Yankee Group report ranks 4G wireless operators as leaders, followers or somewhere in the middle in these early days of 4G network deployments and urges operators to change their 3G wireless strategies to increase brand and service awareness.
- Rushing 4G backhaul network planning carries high costs, delays
4G backhaul network planning is an important and at times underestimated piece of LTE or WiMax migration strategies. If telecoms rush their 4G backhaul network planning, they will pay the price of high costs and disastrous delays.
- From VMware virtualization to the VMware cloud
To stay relevant, VMware has to evolve beyond virtualization and toward cloud technologies. This tip examines VMware's history and explains why it needs the cloud.
- SNW Europe 2010 coverage
Follow the news from SNW Europe, happening in Frankfurt, Germany, Oct. 26-27.
- Vblock infrastructure can endure threats, says Europe's first customer
IT chief at Europe's first VCE Vblock infrastructure customer believes bundled hardware concept will beat threats from undercutting suppliers because of the value in the pre-configured approach.
- Architects add Asigra cloud backup, and other storage news
Storage roundup: Architects add Asigra cloud backup, NetApp UK customer wins, Acronis expands in UK, Buffalo TeraStation gets VMware certification, Drobo adds DroboPro FS, and more.
- Remote replication offers disaster recovery for low RTO requirements
In this tutorial on remote replication and disaster recovery, learn about the different types of replication, WAN optimization and remote replication, and the latest trends.
- How to protect user data in your virtual desktop environment
Protecting virtual desktops is different from protecting virtual servers or traditional desktops. Industry expert Brian Madden digs in to what you need to know.
- Amazon offers new customers free cloud computing for a year
Amazon Web Services will offer new customers 12 months of a free Micro instance. How low can the cloud computing leader go?
- Survey says network speed hindering British business
British workers claim their network speed and reliability is critical in their productivity and competitiveness, according to research from Brocade; plus more daily news.