Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
- Hitachi Data Systems, Caringo roll out object storage upgrades
Hitachi Data Systems and Caringo make their object storage systems more optimized for cloud storage with features such as multi-tenancy and dynamic caching; HDS adds Hitachi Data Ingestor device to speed data on and off its Hitachi Content Platform (HCP).
- Application monitoring tools: Can they span the SAN to the LAN?
Do end-to-end application monitoring tools that include data center and SAN monitoring exist? Not likely. But networking teams can invest in unified application performance monitoring tools that interoperate with their existing patchwork of network management software.
- Network security infrastructure consolidation: What's your strategy?
Network security hardware and software vendors are offering enterprises options to consolidate network security infrastructure so that they can reduce management overhead and power consumption in the data center. But enterprises must avoid adding complexity.
- Bredolab botnet crippled by Dutch cybersecurity teams
Police took over the command and control servers responsible for sending orders to Bredolab, a notorious spam botnet known for spreading rogue antivirus programs.
- Cybersecurity risk assessment: a basic framework
Federal security managers are wrestling with meeting the challenge of a rapid escalation in the number, severity and complexity of threats. Risk management is at the heart of their efforts to meet that challenge.
- Enterprise Agile School: Lessons for handling the challenges of enterprise agile projects
Reports are showing increases in agile adoption as a software development methodology. Traditionally, agile has been thought of a methodology that was best used for small projects on co-located teams. However, more and more organizations are using agile now on large projects for enterprise-wide solutions on geographically-dispersed teams. The lessons in this school will discuss the trends in technologies and teams as agile adapts to enterprise-wide solutions. Challenges and solutions in large-scale and distributed projects will be discussed.
- VMware Lab Manager users want clarity on vCloud Director
With significant overlap between key VMware products, users see the writing on the wall for Lab Manager, Will vCloud Director take Lab Manager's place?
- Follow our virtualization staff on Twitter
Get the latest server virtualization and VMware news, opinions and conference coverage from our staff on Twitter.
- McAfee reseller program overhaul adds new incentives, rewards
McAfee's channel chief says the vendor's overhauled channel program rewards partners for doing good work and is resulting in happier customers.
- SCVMM 2008 R2 task management, features: Study guide
Before making a decision on whether a customer needs SCVMM 2008 R2, solution providers should be an expert on its features, pricing and capabilities.
- TM Forum standardizes wide range of business performance metrics
Business performance metrics are essential to communications providers, and the TM Forum has standardized a wide range metrics for service providers, vendors and consultants to ensure they're talking about the same things when measuring things like customer experience.
- Qakbot banking Trojan develops unique attributes, researchers say
Security researchers at RSA say malware that targets U.S. financial institutions spreads like a worm and organizes targeted credentials.
- Overland Storage launches high-availability SnapSAN iSCSI SAN
Overland Storage rolls out its second SnapSAN iSCSI storage system, the SnapSAN 1000 with dual controllers for high available; array-based application is planned for future releases.
- Citrix CTO Labana discusses virtualization adoption, XenDesktop 5.0
In part 2 of our Q&A from Interop New York, Citrix CTO Harry Labana talks about the slow rate of adoption of desktop virtualization and the upgrade path to XenDesktop 5.0.
- Citrix's Harry Labana talks about apps as services and vendor lock-in
Can you decide which desktop applications should be delivered as services? What about job roles in IT? Citrix CTO Harry Labana discusses the changing needs of enterprise IT.
- VDI products with low infrastructure, licensing costs do exist
Citrix XenDesktop and VMware View too pricey? You may want to consider less expensive VDI options from Red Hat or Kaviza.
- SecTor 2010: Researchers demonstrate malware samples used in targeted attacks
Security researchers from Trustwave's Spiderlabs research team demonstrated malware,--including a Windows credential stealer--that uses automated processes to avoid detection and dupe forensics investigators.
- Is private cloud more than just virtualization?
Is private cloud just virtualization? Find out the reasons that cloud is more than merely a shared pool of resources in this cloud computing roundtable.
- Where is cloud computing in the marketplace?
In terms of total market size, where is cloud going to be in five years? Our group of experts ponders the future of cloud in this roundtable.
- Interacting with cloud services: A management perspective
Discover how to limit and manage cloud computing services both inside the enterprise and in a public cloud environment in this cloud computing roundtable.
- Understanding cloud services: Public vs. private
In this cloud computing roundtable with experts from Novell, Forrester, ACS and Paragon, find out how enterprises perceive public cloud and private cloud.
- A prison's virtual desktops keeps inmates plugged in
Using virtual desktops and a private cloud, the Justice Department of Belgium -- a Best of VMworld Europe 2010 winner -- has given prison inmates access to services without sacrificing security and control.