Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Thursday, October 28, 2010
- Cleversafe bolsters security for object storage; and more storage news
Cleversafe secures data in motion in its cloud object storage platform; vendors seek standards for PCIe; Quantum looks to migrate SAM-FS users to StorNext; and more storage news.
- CISSP practice quiz: Information security, enterprise risk management
In this CISSP practice quiz, learn more about information security and enterprise risk management in order to prepare for and pass the CISSP exam.
- SecTor 2010: Mobile application security flaws a repeat of past mistakes
Developers of mobile applications are repeating many of the same coding errors that desktop coders and Web application coders made years ago, according to two security experts.
- Enterprises face integration hurdles to private clouds
Enterprises that want to offer IT as a Service face challenges that include virtualization stall, bleeding-edge infrastructure automation tools and thorny policy orchestration problems.
- Oracle CEO and Ozzie sound off
Larry Ellison declares war on HP CEO; Ray Ozzie critiques Microsoft.
- What is VMware vCloud Director?
VMware vCloud Director is a management tool for private and hybrid cloud architectures. This vCloud Director guide explains how the cloud computing management tool works.
- Don't overprovision mobile UC licenses; most users just need the basics
When developing a mobile unified communications strategy, UC pros must not uniformly deploy the same set of mobile UC applications enterprise-wide. Instead, they should take a tiered approach -- basic features for most, advanced for some -- to avoid unnecessary licensing fees and management nightmares.
- InMage announces new backup and disaster recovery software for SMBs
InMage announced new backup and disaster recovery software; TwinStrata announces VMware High Availability support; QuorumLabs announces new customers; and other DR news.
- VMware Lab Manager users want clarity on vCloud Director
With significant overlap between key VMware products, users see the writing on the wall for Lab Manager, Will vCloud Director take Lab Manager's place?
- Businesses form Open Data Centre Alliance to push for unified cloud standards
In an effort to spread the adoption of cloud computing, over 70 companies have come together to demand that vendors change the way they make their kit; plus more daily news.
- XenDesktop 5.0 mega upgrade may spark virtual desktop strategy reviews
IT managers asked for the improvements, but the upgrade to Citrix's new management architecture in XenDesktop 5.0 is a whopper and may require starting over.
- How to spot cloud service provider lock-in and stay nimble
Cloud service providers are making it easier to get data onto the cloud, but moving between environments continues to be gnarly. There are ways, however, to avoid cloud lock-in.
- Microsoft's BPOS triumphs: Are they really cloud?
Microsoft has been bragging about its big online apps contracts with New York City and the State of California. But the question remains: are the deals really cloud computing?
- Here's how the cloud will crowd your job
With cloud computing on the rise, many of the IT jobs done manually will fade into the past. Keeping up with products and technology has never been more important.
- EMC Data Protection Advisor gets update and other data backup news
EMC Data Protection Advisor gets update; Backup My Info says it's helping SMBs speed up restores; British Red Cross chooses Asigra backup; and more in this week's data backup news.
- How privacy and data security legislation will fare after Nov. 2
The midterm elections will likely result in a shift in political power. How will that impact pending privacy and data security bills?
- Carriers must support legacy 2G/3G gear long after 4G networks go live
Even after most major carriers launch 4G networks based on Long-Term Evolution (LTE), service providers are still going to have to support subscribers on 2G/3G legacy networks for years to come.
- Unified backup management: The search for the Holy Grail
Managing physical and virtual backups together is tough. No single tool can meet all your needs, but there are some strategies to make backup management easier.
- Veeam Software ships Backup & Recovery 5.0: news in brief
After a preview at VMworld, Veeam Backup & Replication 5.0 finally shipped. These news briefs also contain information about Hyper-V's involvement in the OpenStack project.
- PCI SSC finalizes PCI DSS 2.0
Version 2.0 of PCI DSS will take effect in January and won't receive changes for three years.
- PCI 2.0 guide: How have PCI compliance requirements changed?
In this PCI 2.0 learning guide, you will learn how the PCI compliance requirements have changed, if those changes have improved the standard and how the changes will affect your enterprise's complaince programs and processes.
- Prepping for IT services? Virtualize and centralize resources
Before even considering IT as a Service, you have to lay some groundwork. Virtualizing everything and centralizing resources are key, but is your infrastructure ready?