Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
- What is VMware ThinApp?
Application virtualization with VMware ThinApp can offer many advantages, especially around flexibility and security. But VMware ThinApp isn't a good fit for all applications.
- Amazon boots WikiLeaks under pressure from U.S. Senator
WikiLeaks suffered minor inconveniences after United States government pressure led to Amazon cutting off the whistleblower's cloud services.
- VMware sneaks out free Alive VM virtualization management software
Virtualization management software VMware acquired in August is being offered as a promotion with new purchases of enterprise vSphere licenses made after Nov. 23, leaving some users feeling left out.
- Managed services success: All or nothing?
Managed services may not furnish big-bang up-front sales, but they deliver predictable, repeatable revenue. How much of your business should go the MSP route?
- Pittsburgh Technical Institute revamps storage strategy around virtual servers
Headlines: Pittsburgh Technical Institute followed its virtual server initiative with a storage strategy overhaul, including SSDs and a separate backup app for virtual machines.
- VMware fixes ESX 4.1 hypervisor flaw
A vulnerability in the ESX 4.1 hypervisor could enable a local attacker to gain additional privileges.
- For Disney, cloud computing is another IT wave to ride
Disney's CIOs are already talking cloud, but hesitancy over potential service provider failures and lock-in has pushed the company toward a more long-term view.
- Security first as Boeing adopts cloud computing
Aviation giant Boeing approached cloud computing from the standpoint of security first. A few years later, it has a solid method to the madness.
- Microsoft shuts down IT pro requests to allow IE virtualisation
Microsoft won't support virtualising IE even with its own App-V tool and recently irked developers by stopping one application virtualisation company from offering IE on the Web.
- Five steps to an optimised data centre
A UK analyst discusses the dynamics of the data centre and introduces five simple steps to follow when considering data centre optimisation.
- CIO guide to creating a midmarket risk management strategy
Learn how to develop a risk management strategy in this CIO guide, with tips that can help you boost business performance, prioritize risk and meet regulatory requirements.