Latest Technology News from the TechTarget Network
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
- Windows 8 is a game changer
Windows 8 will completely change the enterprise's attitude to mobile computing, allowing a single platform to support internal application developers, IT support teams and end users to enjoy a common platform that is functional and manageable.
- Disaster Recovery focus at Intel Developer Forum
For many CIOs, disaster recovery or business continuity planning starts and stops with backups, hot recovery sites and well documented plans. At the Intel Developer Forum, Intel is showcasing the roles played by diverse types of computing in the field of disaster management.
- Oxford University uses data visualization to gain enterprise view
Data analytics pros at Oxford have turned to data visualization from Tableau for an enterprise view of student administration, finance and procurement. The tool has also played into communications.
- PLM software is the go-to guy, increasingly critical to the business
PLM's star is rising, as IT executives turn to the software to solve problems, error-proof the global design process and speed time-to-market.
- Harvard University preps for cloud move
Harvard has a homespun private cloud, but it wants to get out of the data center business altogether and move into a community cloud.
- The latest mashup: Health care social media and HIPAA compliance
Experts encourage health care providers to engage in social media, provided that they establish policies to help physicians avoid ethical traps and HIPAA compliance issues.
- Are your physical security breach policies enough?
You've done a great job with firewalling, intrusion prevention and encryption, but your physical data breach policies are probably not enough to protect you.
- Intel demonstrates McAfee DeepSAFE security platform
Intel showcases the potential of McAfee's new hardware security technology, but shares few details about its product strategy.
- Microsoft patches 15 flaws, blacklists additional DigiNotar certificates
Microsoft has issued five ?important? security bulletins that address 15 flaws in Windows and Office and adds six more DigiNotar root certificates to the Windows Untrusted Certificate Store.
- Three steps to building a SharePoint 2010 business case
Because of the stories that surround SharePoint 2010 implementations that have gone awry, experts say it is critical to carefully develop a solid case for SharePoint 2010 adoption.
- Kaminario, Anobit add multi-level cell flash options
Kaminario adds MLC flash to go with previous DRAM SAN, as well as a hybrid option; Anobit bumps up capacity, speed of its MLC solid-state drives (SSDs).
- PaaS cloud computing platform turns mobile app into Web business
A mobile and social weight loss business banked on the PaaS cloud computing platform to support millions of users and thousands of transactions per minute.
- At TechEd 2011, SAP again touts in-memory
At its annual technical conference, SAP once again emphasizes HANA and in-memory technology.
- Microsoft showcases Windows Server 8 with new sense of purpose
Can Windows Server 8 bring Microsoft into the cloud era? With development of the new OS, the company aims to change the way IT shops deliver apps.
- Raritan tracks data center assets: News in brief
Raritan?s new asset management tags help data center managers keep tabs on their infrastructure; and other data center facilities news.
- Automatic storage tiering making its mark
Headlines: Automatic storage tiering has been around for a while now, but now the technology seems to be hitting its stride.
- BPOS customers familiar with downtime, unfazed by Office 365 outages
Microsoft Office 365 customers experienced a second outage in less than a month last week, though several experts regard it as a bump in the road.
- Intel repositions for cloud computing, mobile devices
Storage, video, sensors and big data are areas where Intel hopes it can make its mark in cloud computing.
- Social media in business: Breaking down organizational silos
In this interview with Michael Brito, author of "Smart Business, Social Business ? A Playbook for Social Media in Your Organization," we learn about how social media is being used, not just for marketing and PR, but internally as well to help break down organizational silos.
- IT VARs focus on managing new devices
The mobile device revolution will create management solution opportunities for VARs.
- Hyper-V 3.0 sneak peek intrigues users
A new extensible virtual switch and advanced live migration features have virtualization pros eyeing Hyper-V 3.0.
- VMware delivers View 5 with persona management, PCoIP boost
VMware View 5 is available this week with profile management, more client device support and better PCoIP WAN performance.
- From the Editors: Bleeding edge in natural language processing, mobile BI and Big Data
Natural language processing, mobile BI and Big Data are on the leading edge of technology innovation--but should you believe the hype?