Terms related to cloud computing, including definitions about on-demand, distributed computing and words and phrases about software-as-a-service, infrastructure-as-a-service and storage-as-a-service.
- What is a cloud database? An in-depth cloud DBMS guide - A cloud database is an organized and managed collection of data in an IT system that resides on a public, private or hybrid cloud computing platform.
- What is a private cloud? - Private cloud is a type of cloud computing that delivers similar advantages to public cloud, including scalability and self-service, but through a proprietary architecture.
- What is cloud backup and how does it work? - Cloud backup, also known as online backup or remote backup, is a strategy for sending a copy of a physical or virtual file or database to a secondary, off-site location for preservation in case of equipment failure, site catastrophe or human malfeasance.
- What is cloud management? Everything you need to know - Cloud management refers to the exercise of control over public, private or hybrid cloud infrastructure resources and services.
- What is cloud migration? An introduction to moving to the cloud - Cloud migration is the process of moving data, applications or other business elements to a cloud computing environment.
- What is fog computing? - Fog computing is a decentralized computing infrastructure in which data, compute, storage and applications are located somewhere between the data source and the cloud.
- What is hybrid cloud? Everything you need to know - A hybrid cloud is a cloud computing environment that uses a mix of on-premises, private cloud and third-party, public cloud services with orchestration between these platforms.
- What is iPaaS? Guide to integration platform as a service - This guide explains all about integration platform as a service (iPaaS), a set of automated tools that integrate software applications that are deployed in different environments.
- What is PaaS? Platform as a service definition and guide - Platform as a service (PaaS) is a cloud computing model where a third-party provider delivers hardware and software tools to users over the internet.
- What is public cloud? Everything you need to know - A public cloud is a third-party managed platform that uses the standard cloud computing model to make resources and services available to remote users around the world.
- What is the internet of things (IoT)? - The internet of things, or IoT, is a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines, objects, animals or people that are provided with unique identifiers (UIDs) and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
- white box server - A white box server is a data center computer that is not manufactured by a well-known brand name vendor.
- Windows containers - Windows containers are abstracted, isolated and portable operating environments supported by the Microsoft Windows Server 2016 operating system and managed with tools such as Docker and PowerShell.
- XaaS (anything as a service) - XaaS is a collective term that refers to the delivery of anything as a service.
- zero client - Zero client, also known as ultrathin client, is a server-based computing model in which the end user's computing device has no local storage.