APIs are a defined set of protocols that act as a software interface to allow two computers, programs or web applications to communicate with each other. In business, APIs make it possible for companies to open their applications and functions to partners, third-party developers and internal departments. API testing is part of software engineering that ensures the API fulfills its required functionality, performance, reliability and security.
With the surge in API usage, many API training and certification courses have emerged for beginners and professionals. We narrowed the selection process to a more manageable six API testing training and online courses that can help students secure a job and advance their careers in the API testing field.
1. Quick introduction to Postman for beginners (Udemy)
Key elements: Postman is a key tool for developing REST APIs and testing APIs, especially for front-end web developers. This certification course covers the features of Postman and the basics of HTTP, creating requests in Postman, creating dynamic requests by using variables, building simple workflows, writing basic API tests and automatically running Postman collections. Topics covered include the following:
- moving from simple to more difficult requests;
- handling authentication using the bearer access token;
- group tests in collections and sharing them with teams; and
- using Collection Runner to run API tests.
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of RESTful APIs and JSON HTTP. For testing engineers and software developers as well as beginners.
2. REST Assured APIs with Postman and Java Training Course (NobleProg)
Key elements: Rest Assured APIs are Java domain-specific language APIs for automating REST APIs. With Postman and Java, REST Assured APIs invoke REST web services and match responses for testing. This live training course -- online or onsite -- is led by an instructor, includes interactive lectures and hands-on implementation, and covers the following topics:
- overview of the protocols supported by Postman;
- fundamentals of API testing;
- preparing the development environment;
- automating web service API testing using Postman and REST Assured APIs;
- generating reports for execution results; and
- designing and implementing automation frameworks with REST Assured APIs.
Prerequisites: Java experience is required. For software testers who want to test REST web services using Java, Postman and REST Assured APIs.
3. API Testing Training (MindMajix)
Key elements: This certification training program provides live online platform and self-paced classroom options to help participants master the tools and techniques of API automation from basic to professional level. It addresses all facets of API testing, developing pre-test and post-test scripts using Postman, executing the API tests and generating HTML reports using different tools, in addition to providing practical examples and hands-on training. Topics and core skills covered include the following:
- describing the methods and uses of executing API testing;
- passing parameters and getting API return values;
- designing different test harnesses for the API testing in hand;
- using command-line scripting tools to evaluate and test APIs;
- analyzing functional testing; and
- testing APIs for performance, functionality, security and reliability.
Prerequisites: For IT professionals, technology architects, web services testers, end users and those who want a career in testing.
4. Rest API Testing (Automation) from Scratch -- Rest Assured Java (Udemy)
Key elements: This certification course provides information about REST API manual testing and automation, covers Postman, Java, REST Assured and TestNG, and includes framework implementation from scratch with examples from Twitter, YouTube, Jira and Google Maps API. Users can design and deploy structured API automation frameworks with REST Assured APIs. Instructors help answer questions within 24 hours and assist with resume preparation. Topics covered include the following:
- REST API automation using REST Assured with real-life examples;
- REST manual testing tools such as Postman; and
- generating client reports for API test execution results.
Prerequisites: No API testing experience required. For manual testers, software testers, testers interested in learning automation, software engineers interested in mobile technologies, beginners and college students and graduates.
5. API Testing Certification Course (IntelliPaat)
Key elements: In this Postman certification program for API professionals, students will learn about all facets of API testing, the Postman tool, creating quick receipts and working with various automation tools such as NPM and Newman. The course also assigns numerous projects on specific modules and provides lifetime access to training resources, mock job interviews and resume preparation. Topics covered include the following:
- advantages of APIs;
- SOAP API and REST API;
- web services versus APIs;
- Postman and Newman tools;
- installation of JDK, JRE, IDE and Maven; and
Prerequisites: No specific skills and knowledge required, except a basic understanding of a few testing concepts. For IT professionals, architects, web service testers, end users and those who want to build a career in API testing.
6. Postman Fundamentals (Pluralsight)
Key elements: This course teaches how Postman helps simplify working with APIs, how to develop automated API tests to ensure the APIs don't break between releases and how Postman simplifies writing up-to-date documentation for APIs. Topics covered include the following:
- ins, outs and basics of Postman;
- making an API request using different environments;
- making simple requests and mocking out an API;
- using collections in Postman;
- scripting API workflows;
- documenting an API; and
- available team tools.
Prerequisites: No specific skills and knowledge required. For developers and those who want to use Postman to test and improve APIs.